Respected Contributor

Re: Do I have to worry about getting sick with sous vide?

@depglass Then be safe , pass on it.Let you gut instincts be your guide.Better safe than sorry.

Respected Contributor

I got the TSV IP but I would never use the sous  vide process. The thought of hot plastic chemical residue merging with my food is a deal-breaker to me. I never cook in plastic, just a rule I follow. I studied chemistry and I think it’s unhealthy to heat plastic and food together. Same thoughts with hot beverages in contact with plastic or styrofoam. JMHO. 

Honored Contributor

Annabellethecat, I'm going to scare the daylights out of you.  If you read Consumer Reports, you will be shocked at the percentage of uncooked chicken and eggs on the market that are contaminated, mainly with salmonella.  Proper cooking and food handling will protect you.  The problem comes when people don't adhere to all steps.  Like they are recommending that you don't wash chicken parts before cooking because you can splash bacteria on the sink, etc. and contaminate other food items.  In our state restaurants must print a caution on menus about ordering eggs less than completely cooked.  So the fact eggs are making you sick is troubling, please cook them thoroughly, no "over easy."