Esteemed Contributor

Re: Do Coconut and Almond milk go bad on the expiration date?

On 1/5/2015 millieshops said:

Most expiration dates are sell-by dates and the product lasts much longer. However, lots of deterioration takes place once we open things, so just be sensible with open containers of anything. Look for texture differences, smell for odors, etc.

Good advice.

The sell by date system was implemented (by the FDA) to prevent consumers from unknowingly buying old product. How long you keep/eat/drink it once it's in your hands is up to you. At that point the grocers and manufacturers are off the hook from frivolous lawsuits should you become ill from ingesting something spoiled.

Honored Contributor

I find it lasts a lot longer then regular milk. I use it in smoothies.

Respected Contributor

I use the refrigerated almond milk. The expiration date is about 2 months when you buy it. BUT once you open it, it says good for 7 to 10 days I think. So what I do is write on the cap with a permanent marker the date I opened it. That way if it isn't gone in 10 days, I dump it and open a new one.

Super Contributor

On 1/5/2015 mima said:

I use the refrigerated almond milk. The expiration date is about 2 months when you buy it. BUT once you open it, it says good for 7 to 10 days I think. So what I do is write on the cap with a permanent marker the date I opened it. That way if it isn't gone in 10 days, I dump it and open a new one.

Wow, ours lasts about a month past the expiration date.

Trusted Contributor

I've used my almond milk two weeks past expiration - no problem!

Honored Contributor

On 1/4/2015 baileysue said:

I am new to almond milk and coconut milk. I am wondering if the expiration date is like regular milk and starts to go bad by the expiration date, or is it ok to keep it a little longer? I can't tell by tasting. It seems to taste ok, but not sure.

I doubt they go bad exactly on the expiration date .... you usually have more time because it's a "best by" date. {#emotions_dlg.thumbup1}

Super Contributor

If unopened, they will easily last until the expiration date. Once you open it though, it only lasts about 7-10 days. I usually dump it at 7 days if there is some left as it starts getting "curds" in it. Gross.

Some people do drugs. I do shoes....Celine Dion
Respected Contributor

On 1/5/2015 BonnieBelle said:
On 1/5/2015 mima said:

Wow, ours lasts about a month past the expiration date.

I just go by what it says on the carton. I just looked and it says it stays fresh after opening 7 to 10 days.

I don't know what it is like when it goes bad as I dump it on the 10th day.

Not applicable

We found a great website called ""Shelf Life Advice"" that will give you information on how long (after the expiration date) for a lot of items. Check it out!
Super Contributor

thanks everyone for replies about the freezing. also will take note now on the exp. date on the milk. had never heard of milk lasting so long. sounds good to me. thanks again, All.