Respected Contributor

Do Any of You Use an Electric Contact Grill to Cook Bone-In Chicken Parts?

Wings, legs, thighs, breasts. I'm looking for how well it works -- no theoretical answers please. I fear the chicken may be cooked so unevenly that it is not worth the effort. And do you leave the skin on or remove it?

About how long would it take to cook a medium size thigh?  If your grill has variable temperature control, what temp do you use?

Trying to decide if I want to buy a grill. I prefer bone-in chicken and meats,

Thanks......

Honored Contributor

Re: Do Any of You Use an Electric Contact Grill to Cook Bone-In Chicken Parts?

I’m not sure what you mean by “electric contact grill”.  We have a Ninja Grill and love it for burgers, chicken breast, pork chops, steaks.  I don’t even bother with our outdoor grill anymore. 

Respected Contributor

Hi @JeanLouiseFinch  - An indoor electric grill with top and bottom plates like a George Foreman. I'm considering a Hamilton Beach or Elite.

Bone-in steaks and pork chops are easier because the bone is the same thickness as the meat.

Bone-in chicken has to be more difficult to get right.

Honored Contributor

I use mine to cook bone in thighs but I just cut into one to see if it's done or I take one off the George Foreman Grill and stick a meat thermometer into it. My grill does not have a temperature setting.

Honored Contributor

I have a nice George Foreman grill but never use it.  It takes up too much room on the counter and is too hard to clean.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@JeanLouiseFinch : Have you used the grill for vegetables? If so, how was the results and taste? We loved roasted vegetables but just to hot to use the oven. So far the grills that I have looked at in the store has a real small surface or cooking area. Normally when I cook vegetables it is enough to fill up a large sheet pan.

Respected Contributor

@Mindy D  -  Thank goodness you responded! I also asked this question on Amazon and no one who answered said they use their grill for bone-in.

I found a website called Foreman Grill Recipes which has very good recipes but only briefly mentions bone-in cooking. I think we're in a small group.

Again,skin on or off?

Honored Contributor

@SouthernBee wrote:

@JeanLouiseFinch : Have you used the grill for vegetables? If so, how was the results and taste? We loved roasted vegetables but just to hot to use the oven. So far the grills that I have looked at in the store has a real small surface or cooking area. Normally when I cook vegetables it is enough to fill up a large sheet pan.

No, I haven’t @SouthernBee. I do them on a sheet pan or sauté pan. 

Honored Contributor

@JeanLouiseFinch : Thank you. Silly me haven't thought about a sauté pan.

Esteemed Contributor

@PickyPicky3  with bone in on the George Forman contact grill my husband would use the cleaver and split the bone in two. Wings would be easier to grill without splitting the bone and you can also put a few wings on at the same time and that would even out the height.