Honored Contributor

Re: Dishwasher & Cloudy Dishes

On 3/14/2014 luvsbulldogs said:
On 3/13/2014 Nightowlz said:
On 3/13/2014 luvsbulldogs said:

I have never seen Lemi Shine on the shelves where I shop so I googled it and saw that there are different kinds. One is a detergent, another a finish and there is also an original....whatever that means. Which one do I buy for cloudy glasses and SS interior dishwasher. Also do I use a little with my regular detergent or just that? TIA

I found it at Walmart. They have it online. Lemi Shine Super Concentrated Dishwasher Detergent Additive, 12 oz Original. It's in a shaker bottle. Since my dishwasher has a place to pour jet dry I cannot use the Lemi-Shine in there since it's granular. My detergent dispensar has a place for powder or pacs. Now I pour some detergent in the bottom of the dishwasher & put some Lemi-Shine in the detergent dispensar. I did not think they had a detergent?

Hi Nightowlz....... thank you so much for your reply and how to use the Lemi Shine. Also thank you for letting me know that it is a powder. Unfortunately I will not be able to use it. We live in a very rural area and have a septic system and our repairman told us to never use a powder detergent in the dishwasher or the washing machine because it clogs up the machines and forms clumps in the septic tank. The septic company told us the same. They recommended that we use Cascade in the bottle for daily use. My china says that it is dishwasher safe but only if we use Cascade Liquid Lemon and so I have been using it for years on my China. My glasses every now and them come out cloudy so when that happens I will have to try the vinegar. Thanks for your quick reply.

Hi Luvsbulldogs I saw on their site they also have a liquid. You can put in your zip code to see where they sell it.

Honored Contributor

On 3/14/2014 Nightowlz said:

I have never seen Lemi Shine on the shelves where I shop so I googled it and saw that there are different kinds. One is a detergent, another a finish and there is also an original....whatever that means. Which one do I buy for cloudy glasses and SS interior dishwasher. Also do I use a little with my regular detergent or just that? TIA

I found it at Walmart. They have it online. Lemi Shine Super Concentrated Dishwasher Detergent Additive, 12 oz Original. It's in a shaker bottle. Since my dishwasher has a place to pour jet dry I cannot use the Lemi-Shine in there since it's granular. My detergent dispensar has a place for powder or pacs. Now I pour some detergent in the bottom of the dishwasher & put some Lemi-Shine in the detergent dispensar. I did not think they had a detergent?

Hi Nightowlz....... thank you so much for your reply and how to use the Lemi Shine. Also thank you for letting me know that it is a powder. Unfortunately I will not be able to use it. We live in a very rural area and have a septic system and our repairman told us to never use a powder detergent in the dishwasher or the washing machine because it clogs up the machines and forms clumps in the septic tank. The septic company told us the same. They recommended that we use Cascade in the bottle for daily use. My china says that it is dishwasher safe but only if we use Cascade Liquid Lemon and so I have been using it for years on my China. My glasses every now and them come out cloudy so when that happens I will have to try the vinegar. Thanks for your quick reply.

Hi Luvsbulldogs I saw on their site they also have a liquid. You can put in your zip code to see where they sell it.

Nightowlz, that is their version of a rinse aid. It's not the same as the original Lemi-Shine, and it says in the product description that it is not a replacement or a substitute for it.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
New Contributor

We purchased Christmas stainless flatware this year and the cleaning instructions clearly said to avoid lemon or orange dishwasher detergent. It said using that would cause damage. I'm not sure what the stainless ratio is; it wasn't expensive. This might help someone.

New Contributor

I use white vinegar in the rinse dispenser and the dishes come out sparkling clean every time..

Honored Contributor

On 3/14/2014 suzyQ3 said:
On 3/14/2014 Nightowlz said:

Nightowlz, that is their version of a rinse aid. It's not the same as the original Lemi-Shine, and it says in the product description that it is not a replacement or a substitute for it.

Ok Thanks. Thought it was the same only liquid. I just started using the powder form & don't know much about their products.

Contributor

I know what everyone is talking about. Since a law required that manufacturers change the soap formulation, it's never worked well. Even the drying agents don't work as well. And I always pre-rinse...a couple of inches of water in the sink, dunk and put in the washer. The sink water is really gross when I'm done but if I don't the dishes come out still with bits of dried food on them. I admit, I do a lot of hand washing, a rinse in water with white vinegar and air dry...better than what comes out of the machine.
Esteemed Contributor

I had no luck with Cascade any formula. I was using the Ajax packs which were better. But both would sometimes leave cloudy, unclean dishes. I've added Jet Dry, Lemi Shine. The vinegar works but it was a hassle to add it. If I missed the last rinse I'd have to run a short wash to get the vinegar rinse.

I could run another cycle and the dishwasher would fill with detergent even though it was only water. I could imagine all that residue on the dishes, flatware & glasses that I put away when they looked clean. I always ran an extra cycle to rinse off all that soap.

I started using Seventh Generation packs about a month ago. My dishes and glasses are so much better. I haven't run another cycle to test if there is extra detergent remaining. I do plan to try it soon.