Super Contributor

Re: Dishwasher & Cloudy Dishes

We always put vinegar in our machine at the beginning of the last rinse cycle. The dishes come out sparkling. If we don't the glasses come out very cloudy.

Honored Contributor

Thanks for this post and the comments people have added! I just moved and I can't tell if the spots I'm getting are from the new soap I bought or the washer itself. I'll try this until I finish off the soap I bought and then see what happens when I switch to a different soap brand.

Super Contributor

On 3/12/2014 Bobbieg said: I had the same problem, now, where do you put the vinegar, in the dishwasher or in the same place as the Jet Dry?

I just fling some into the dishwasher itself and then start the machine. I went from all cloudy glasses to sparkling in one run through.

The inside of the dishwasher is clean too and never has a sour smell. (there are only 2 of us, so the dishwasher is only run a few times a week)

I took all the cloudy 'clean' dishes/glasses from my cupboard and sent them thru the dishwasher with the vinegar too.

eta: I had already tried the Jetdry, Oxyclean and something in a plastic basket that hooked onto the upper rack and lasted a month. None of them made a difference. And vinegar is cheaper too.

Honored Contributor

On 3/13/2014 suzyQ3 said:

OP, I've been recommending Lemi-Shine around here for years. SmileWe first used it because our dishwasher at the time was all spotted on its SS interior. So we followed the instructions for using Lemi-Shine the first time to take care of that. We had originally tired vinegar but weren't that impressed.

Since then we always use it along with our dishwasher detergent when we run the dishwasher. Our SS interior on subsequent dishwashers always looks brand new, and our glasses don't get cloudy.

Also, if we don't use it, even one time, any plastic items come out weirdly marked -- I guess cloudy. But another wash with LS takes care of that.

It does a good job. Our dishes look so much better. I know what you mean about plastic items since mine used to look like that. I will keep using it.

Super Contributor

My dishwasher was virtually unusable until I bought Finish Gel Packs. They actually fixed my glassware when I thought it was scratched and clouded beyond repair. I couldn't recommend this product more highly.

Honored Contributor

On 3/13/2014 Scooby Doo said:

If your dishes are now cloudy, it probably is the filter that needs to be cleaned. Most all dishwashers have a filter that traps food particles and when that gets dirty you get film.

Once in a while I pour some Clorox in the bottom of the dishwasher, let it set for a few minutes, then run a hot wash. Helps to clean the inside. But I'm not sure about the effect of Clorox on stainless.

I doubt it's the filter since there should not be any food particles in it because the food is all rinsed off the dishes before I put them in the dishwasher since I only run it once per week.

Super Contributor

On 3/13/2014 Nightowlz said:

If your dishes are now cloudy, it probably is the filter that needs to be cleaned. Most all dishwashers have a filter that traps food particles and when that gets dirty you get film.

Once in a while I pour some Clorox in the bottom of the dishwasher, let it set for a few minutes, then run a hot wash. Helps to clean the inside. But I'm not sure about the effect of Clorox on stainless.

I doubt it's the filter since there should not be any food particles in it because the food is all rinsed off the dishes before I put them in the dishwasher since I only run it once per week.

Okay, this is a stretch, but I heard that putting clean dishes in the dishwasher is bad for the dishes. I think it was in my d/w manual. It said that if you clean them off too much before running the washer, the soap and water could damage the dishes.

Honored Contributor

On 3/13/2014 luvsbulldogs said:

I have never seen Lemi Shine on the shelves where I shop so I googled it and saw that there are different kinds. One is a detergent, another a finish and there is also an original....whatever that means. Which one do I buy for cloudy glasses and SS interior dishwasher. Also do I use a little with my regular detergent or just that? TIA

I found it at Walmart. They have it online. Lemi Shine Super Concentrated Dishwasher Detergent Additive, 12 oz Original. It's in a shaker bottle. Since my dishwasher has a place to pour jet dry I cannot use the Lemi-Shine in there since it's granular. My detergent dispensar has a place for powder or pacs. Now I pour some detergent in the bottom of the dishwasher & put some Lemi-Shine in the detergent dispensar. I did not think they had a detergent?

Honored Contributor

On 3/13/2014 house cat said:
On 3/13/2014 Nightowlz said:

Okay, this is a stretch, but I heard that putting clean dishes in the dishwasher is bad for the dishes. I think it was in my d/w manual. It said that if you clean them off too much before running the washer, the soap and water could damage the dishes.

Wow did not know that. I figured since I only run it once per week if I left the dishes that dirty in the dishwasher they would not get clean. I don't overfill it. All I put in it is plates, cups, bowls, silverware. I don't put any of my pots, pans or that type thing in the dishwasher.

Honored Contributor

I use Mrs Meyers, and used a tip one of the posters gave us a long time ago. The poster recommended turning the hot water on in the sink until it is hot before starting dishwasher. It helps me, as we have an old house, and narrow pipes. The shower and faucet take forever to heat up. But in all truth, the recommendations of clorox, vinegar and half jet clean and half vinegar are probably the best all a round.

The detergent isn't the same, and doesn't clean as flawlwssly as it did before they changed it