Super Contributor

Re: Dishwasher Recommendations, anything but Bosch

We have a kitchenaid and like it very much. When we bought it I read the reviews and there were two models. One had very good reviews and the other not so much. We bought the one with good reviews and have been happy with it.

Respected Contributor

My nextdoor neighbor is an appliance repairman. He told me Bosch is the brand that keeps him the busiest. My daughter had a Bosch dishwasher a couple of years ago and she had nothing but problems with it. I would recommend my favorite brand of dishwasher ever, Kenmore Elite, but I don't think they sell them anymore. 

Respected Contributor

I think it's hit and miss with different brands of dishwashers/appliances.  

I've had two KitchenAid dishwashers within about 5 years and they both had major problems.

I bought a Whirlpool washer/dryer set about 4 months ago.  The repairman has been out twice for the washer already.  Many years ago I had a Whirlpool and never had a problem.   

A salesman told me if you get 5 years out of any major appliance nowadays, consider yourself lucky. 

Trusted Contributor

We had a Bosch and when it broke down last June, the only brand available in stock at our local appliance store was a KitchenAid.  So we really had no choice unless we wanted to wait for several months.  I've used it almost daily for 6 months now and really like it.  It has 3 racks and I can fit a ton more stuff in it than with any other DW I've ever used.  it is very quiet, sometimes I check to see if it's working!  Woman Happy

Good luck in your search.  I hope you get something that works for you because appliances can be a very costly mistake.

Respected Contributor

I've had a Whirlpool for 25 years. No problems ever.

My small condo kitchen is due for an upgrade...Lord knows what I'll find now. I swear that the units made 25 years ago, hold up better than the new ones. I have no actual proof or study, but it's what seems to be these days...you're lucky when things last 10 years, vs the 20-25 and over of things years ago.

Is that deliberate? The cheapening of parts to make more money on the units? The cheapening of mfg these days? I'm just guessing. But it sure seems so.

Back in the day if I'd had such good luck with my Whirlpool, I'd just go get another, and be set for another 20 years...just like my mom would do...it's what you did. These days, old trusted brand names, just may not be what they used to be.

I recently heard on Martha Stewart's podcast of the consumer rating site "Wirecutter"....you might check there to see what they recommend as "the best."

I know service is key to your question too...like others said...in my area if I use our local ma & pa hardware/appliance center...they often will service things. Definitely a more personalized cust. svc, stand behind the sale experience. And when they don't do it, they have a roster of contractors to call.

I didn't read this whole thread, I don't know if that's an option for you. I bought all my appliances at a ma/pa small store 25 years ago...they are all still working, and I never needed service, but they do service what they sell. But like I said...my kitchen is due for an upgrade and I'm hoping I don't jinx myself and that none of these go before I change things...especially with supply issues these days. Sigh.

My other two appliances, stove & fridge are GE.

Good luck~I hope you find a good solution and have good luck with your new unit!!

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Sunshine Kate wrote:

I think it's hit and miss with different brands of dishwashers/appliances.  

I've had two KitchenAid dishwashers within about 5 years and they both had major problems.

I bought a Whirlpool washer/dryer set about 4 months ago.  The repairman has been out twice for the washer already.  Many years ago I had a Whirlpool and never had a problem.   

A salesman told me if you get 5 years out of any major appliance nowadays, consider yourself lucky. 

Same my 25 year old Whirlpool has been great. But I'd wonder about anything sold now.

That "5 year" average is really disgusting. I believe they can and should make things to last longer than that. Once again, it's us, the consumers getting the short end.

Regular Contributor

I love Bosch dishwashers. I had one in my condo I sold in 2021, and when I moved to my new home at the lake it had a Frigidare dishwasher. It was only 6 months old when I moved in, but broke a month after the warranty ran out. So I bought another Bosch Ascensia (?) from Lowe's. Love the new dishwashers are so quiet now.

Honored Contributor

I haven't read all the responses, but I'd like to add that you should consider the most simple model available.   My last two were Frigidare and LG and neither lasted very long. The LG was top of the line and lasted two years before the entire computer system failed. It was going to cost $450 to replace that part.  I now have a very simple GE model and so far it's a workhorse. I'm very happy with it.

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

@sunshine45 wrote:

we own 2 kitchenaid dishwashers.

excellent cleaning and good interior setup with a good amount of space. they are very clean and sleek looking with electronic pads that are hidden away until you open the doors.

one of them gets used pretty much daily and during the holidays, 2-3 times a day since we had company.

not inexpensive, but highly recommend.

one is about 6 years old, the other is 5 years old.

no maintenance on them yet, but we do have a whole house maintenance policy.

@sunshine45 

I had a Kitchen Aid before I got the Bosch and I had no problems with it, but the hype was all about the Bosch at the time I purchased it.  I have had no problems with it until now.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@PickyPicky3 wrote:

Both Home Depot and Lowe's sell a lot of Bosch dishwashers. Hard to imagine service not being available. I'd call those stores to see if they know some other source of Bosch repair.

@PickyPicky3 

I bought mine at Best Buy and they are ridiculous that they give you the guy 300 miles away.  Our local HD and Lowe's both sell them but they have given me that same 888-number to call which is more than XXX miles from me so that is the one that charges the expensive service call.  It is unreal to think that in an area near a city that I have to get a repairman from a rural area XXX miles away.  If I had bought mine from Lowe's or HD, they would pay for the repairman service call but since I bought it from Best Buy, they don't cover theirs.