Honored Contributor

Dishwasher Recommendations, anything but Bosch

I had a Bosch (I have a Bosch).  It quit 2 days before Christmas.  No repairman on call except for frozen/burst pipes all over town.  In the southeast where the temperature is normal, it dropped to almost zero and with wind chill, was below zero.  So we don't know if it was frozen pipes to the Bosch or what because we cannot find anyone who will work on a Bosch in our area.  I loaded the dishwasher on the 22nd night, awakened expecting the dishes to be clean.  Nada.  No water in it and light still on as if it were trying to work.  It will be a $400 service call and then the cost of repairs.  I can buy another dishwasher much cheaper.  This one was 12 years old.  How would I know if it was the dishwasher or the frozen pipes?  I guess I will not know. 

So anyone have any recommendations for anything other than Bosch since we don't have repair people in our area to work on them.

Respected Contributor

Re: Dishwasher Recommendations, anything but Bosch

Maybe you should work backwards. Call your favorite repair people and ask them what brands they service. If they give you more than one, ask them which they would recommend.

Esteemed Contributor

@Nonametoday 

I feel your pain as my dishwasher died just before Thanksgiving and it was going to cost more to fix than repair.

The service man recommended two dishwashers...Bosch and Whirlpool. I've had Bosch and it was great, until it wasn't.  Never had a Whirlpool diswasher. I do have Whirlpool washer and dryer and love them. They have lasted, knock on wood, more than 20 years.

Good luck with new dishwasher. I still don't have one. It is supposed to come I next week, but they will not schedule installation until they physically have dishwasher. Sigh.

"What we practice daily is what we build a life on. Practice peace, love & kindness."
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@On It wrote:

Maybe you should work backwards. Call your favorite repair people and ask them what brands they service. If they give you more than one, ask them which they would recommend.

@On It 

I thought of that when I asked 5 repairmen and struck out but since it took 11 days for them to call me back, I decided I would not want to wait 11 more days for a response.

Honored Contributor

@On It   Good suggestion!

@Nonametoday   We had a GE in our previous home.  Was still working after 15 years.  We currently have a Bosch.  If yours lasted 12+ years I would not discount that brand even if there is no reputable repair person around.  As you found out it's probably cheaper to buy a new one than to get one fixed!

Honored Contributor

@kaydee50 wrote:

@On It   Good suggestion!

@Nonametoday   We had a GE in our previous home.  Was still working after 15 years.  We currently have a Bosch.  If yours lasted 12+ years I would not discount that brand even if there is no reputable repair person around.  As you found out it's probably cheaper to buy a new one than to get one fixed!

@kaydee50 

The same (newer model) one I have is $999 locally.  I am thinking it would be a waste to have it repaired.  Like you, I think the investment would be in a new one, not repairing or maybe not repairing, an old one for the amount of money it cost just for a service call.  

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Nonametoday - Have the temperatures gotten warmer since you last tried to use your dishwasher? If so, is it worthwhile to try again? If the pipes or the connections were just temporarily too cold/frozen to pump water properly, perhaps things would be fine now. Maybe run it with just a few dishes and stay nearby to watch and listen?

ETA: After 12 years, if the dishwasher truly is broken, I agree that it would definitely be a better investment to buy a new model than to repair the old one. Sadly, I've run into that issue with several appliances over the past year, but I haven't regretted just buying new ones that have full warranties and are more likely to be reliable.

Honored Contributor

@loriqvc wrote:

@Nonametoday - Have the temperatures gotten warmer since you last tried to use your dishwasher? If so, is it worthwhile to try again? If the pipes or the connections were just temporarily too cold/frozen to pump water properly, perhaps things would be fine now. Maybe run it with just a few dishes and stay nearby to watch and listen?

ETA: After 12 years, if the dishwasher truly is broken, I agree that it would definitely be a better investment to buy a new model than to repair the old one. Sadly, I've run into that issue with several appliances over the past year, but I haven't regretted just buying new ones that have full warranties and are more likely to be reliable.

@loriqvc 

My #2 son who is pretty good with all that tried that and he said "you may have burned it up when you turned it on, went to bed and it was not getting any water," and so I have reconciled myself to that, that it is probably not worth fixing and it may be irrepairable.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Sears has two local appliance repair shops in my city. If repair is a concern then look at Kenmore dishwashers. There's bound to be a Sears repair place somewhere near you.

Kenmore dot com

Amazon

Sears

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

Sears has two local appliance repair shops in my city. If repair is a concern then look at Kenmore dishwashers. There's bound to be a Sears repair place somewhere near you.

Kenmore dot com

@SilleeMee 

I think it was the Sears repairman who told me how to fix my icemaker situation when it froze up, to unplug the fridge and let it set for 30 minutes, plug it back in and it would work.  It worked.  I did not have need for a repairman but since I had called one from (out of town as usual),  who told me the same thing.  Fortunately, the fridge was still under warranty at that time.