Honored Contributor

Re: Dishwasher Recommendations, anything but Bosch

[ Edited ]

I bought a basic no-frills Amana dishwasher from Home Depot a few years ago. when i bought it the reviews were very good and now I'm still very happy with it...no problems whatsoever. At the time HD had a $79 installation special plus they would haul away my old one for free. 

Amana dishwashers are made in the USA, in Amana, Ohio. It is a product owned by Whirlpool.

ETA-

Interesting...I just looked inside my dishwasher and there's a sticker on the side that says the motor is made by Maytag which is also owned by Whirlpool.

Honored Contributor

@Trailrun23 wrote:

My nextdoor neighbor is an appliance repairman. He told me Bosch is the brand that keeps him the busiest. My daughter had a Bosch dishwasher a couple of years ago and she had nothing but problems with it. I would recommend my favorite brand of dishwasher ever, Kenmore Elite, but I don't think they sell them anymore. 

@Trailrun23 

There is an independent appliance store in our area that sells several brands.  They service what they sell, haul off and install for the same price as HD, Best Buy and Lowe's. 

Every dishwasher they have is less than Lowe's, Best Buy or HD for the identical, same serial number dishwasher as they are having a post Christmas sale.  When I asked what were their top-selling dishwasher, he said "Bosh, Kitchen Aid and Whirlpool."  I asked to see a Bosch.  He sort of looked like "are you sure?" and then said they had so many repairs on Bosch' that they will no longer stock them.  They are selling out and their repairmen would not be available to any longer work on Bosch's except those already under warranty. 

He said he would recommend Kitchen Aid or Whirlpool.  He showed me the difference in the two which was $100-200 difference in price depending on a couple minor differences.  I liked the Whirlpool better because of the cosmetic difference.

The Kitchen Aid has a super-fancy handle and Whirlpool opens with a latch not visible or with a handle.  I like the super-fancy handle on the Kitchen Aid but I have that same handle on my refrigerator and I have banged my hand on it twice that it bled (no blood thinners but bleed like I am on blood thinners because of a blood dyscrasia). I chose the Whirlpool as it has the same features. 

I love that pretty handle but learned my lesson from the refrigerator handle.  

Respected Contributor

@Trailrun23 wrote:

My nextdoor neighbor is an appliance repairman. He told me Bosch is the brand that keeps him the busiest. My daughter had a Bosch dishwasher a couple of years ago and she had nothing but problems with it. I would recommend my favorite brand of dishwasher ever, Kenmore Elite, but I don't think they sell them anymore. 

Someone told me recently that Bosch has made changes in it's appliances esp. DW and they are having a lot of problems with them.  Just FYI.  We have an independent appliance place here and they are quite open about what they rec. and why and what they don't rec.  When looking for a fridge, he said not only would he not recommend a Samsung fridge, he wouldn't sell me one.  He isn't a fan of LG either.  

Valued Contributor

After being burned with trying to get a Samsung refrigerator serviced (bought at Lowes)...

We now ONLY buy appliances from a local dealer that does all of their own servicing.

Never again will I buy an appliance from a big box store.

Trusted Contributor

LG good products, made well. For us very dependable