Honored Contributor

Re: Dishwasher Detergent ~ Please help before I accidentally murder another dishwasher.

Are you kidding me? Are you kidding me? This isn't brain surgery people. First and foremost follow the manufacturers directions.

Increase the water temperature. Make sure there isn't anything causing the water (dirty water) to not drain out of the dishwasher.

I've taken my dishwasher (and toilet) apart so many times I could get hired out.

Most people are afraid to work on things themselves. Just try taking it apart.

My late husband could and did fix and do everything. One day I said, "Everyone asks me how you learned to do everything". He said, "I'm not smarter than anyone else" (he was but that's another subject). He said, "I'm just not afraid to try to fix it".

There you go.

Contributor

Re: Dishwasher Detergent ~ Please help before I accidentally murder another dishwasher.

my daughter had a Kitchen Aide.... after about 10 years... started having problems...

repairman said that the new detergents do not have tsp....which is a cleaner found in the paint section...... I bought some... and add a small amount to my detergent.... what a change..... he said the new detergents to not dissolve all the stuff.

Honored Contributor

On 1/10/2015 ib_sewing2 said:

my daughter had a Kitchen Aide.... after about 10 years... started having problems...

repairman said that the new detergents do not have tsp....which is a cleaner found in the paint section...... I bought some... and add a small amount to my detergent.... what a change..... he said the new detergents to not dissolve all the stuff.

TSP is a phosphate. It's your choice whether to use it. I won't use phosphates for the reasons outlined in my Post #58.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Contributor

My Kitchen Aid dishwasher that is about 6-7 years old started to sometimes not drain all the water out and got stinky. (I usually just use the rinse feature in-between washings.) I started adding 1-2 squirts of the Dawn FOAMING liquid dish detergent when I ran a RINSE cycle and made sure that I ran my sink water until it got hot before starting. I don't "wash" my dishes before I put them in the dishwasher, I just give them a good rinse and make sure there aren't any solid pieces of food on them. Even though there is supposedly a "disposer" of sort in my dishwasher, I didn't like finding peas or other food that was still in there.

I use the Finish platinum red ball packs for when I run the wash cycle and keep the Rinse agent full. I noticed since doing this that there is no smell and I don't see any water down in the bottom of the drain. My theory was that there was probably a buildup in the drain hose and that the Dawn just may have dissolved it. The stainless interior looks shinier too. I do agree that if you put too much Dawn, it would make too many bubbles.

Repairman told me once that they don't make new appliances like they used to. They use plastic parts and such that don't hold up. Companies don't want them to last 30 years!

Honored Contributor

Gel pacs are nasty in the dishwasher, clothes washer. They never totally dissolve and eventually will clog it up.

I prefer Cascade Complete liquid.

I have a Kitchenaid and will never buy another. The inside is stainless but not the outside. It is 5 yrs old and on its last leg. I had a repairman out a few months ago and he said the computer system is bad. He at least got it to semi-function but not all the steps in any cycle work. I sometimes have to run it twice to get things clean and or rinsed well.

Esteemed Contributor

On 1/10/2015 kiamom23 said:

My Kitchen Aid dishwasher that is about 6-7 years old started to sometimes not drain all the water out and got stinky. (I usually just use the rinse feature in-between washings.) I started adding 1-2 squirts of the Dawn FOAMING liquid dish detergent when I ran a RINSE cycle and made sure that I ran my sink water until it got hot before starting. I don't "wash" my dishes before I put them in the dishwasher, I just give them a good rinse and make sure there aren't any solid pieces of food on them. Even though there is supposedly a "disposer" of sort in my dishwasher, I didn't like finding peas or other food that was still in there.

I use the Finish platinum red ball packs for when I run the wash cycle and keep the Rinse agent full. I noticed since doing this that there is no smell and I don't see any water down in the bottom of the drain. My theory was that there was probably a buildup in the drain hose and that the Dawn just may have dissolved it. The stainless interior looks shinier too. I do agree that if you put too much Dawn, it would make too many bubbles.

Repairman told me once that they don't make new appliances like they used to. They use plastic parts and such that don't hold up. Companies don't want them to last 30 years!

~kiamom, that was an excellent post...for me~....and it makes absolutely Common Sense!

The reason I had mention `NEVER put dishwashing soap in a dishwasher` was due to my error, when I had first received MY 1st dishwasher. I had run out of Cascade (mother -in-law's recommendation), SO I put in the dispensor a small amount of whatever I had at that time and the bubbles came roaring out. I have told almost everyone on the forum menus, I am not any guru in the kitchen since I have always had 'teaching' in medicine, as my second priority, first to being a full time mother aand wife, with DISHWASHER~.

I could be home during the day time, my husband would be home for a few hours during the evening. NEVER WOULD BE COMFORTABLE. WITH DAYCARE. IF SO, THEN I SLOWED TO A STOP, WHICH I EVENTUALLY LOVED, FOR MANY YEARS (10). I worked partime in research and teaching med student, along with assessments. Infectious disease(s), AND NEVER REALLY OPERATED A DISHWASHER.

Honored Contributor

Also, one more thing. Make sure your disposal is clear before you run the dishwasher. They use the same drain and if it's clogged with food it won't work well.

~ house cat ~
Frequent Contributor

I only use liquid gel detergent. Cascade Complete works fine where we live. I also have had repairmen tell me not to use any of the pacs. Besides not being good for the appliances, they are bad for the environment. So are facial cleansers and such with those little plastic beads. They do not dissolve and are showing up in the water supply! The liquid gel detergent is better because the powders do not always dissolve completely and will etch glass in time. I also believe that appliances are not made to last too long. My eleven year old Kenmore Elite is still going and it has had very heavy use. Big family and lots of entertaining. Good luck with your new dishwasher!
Super Contributor

We also have hard water and I've tried every detergent known to help remove spots, film and stuck on gunk. Some worked better than others but nothing worked completely until I tried OxiClean dishwasher detergent. I had no idea they made a dishwasher detergent until I got a coupon. It is wonderful!!! Highly recommend.

Just a little FYI. Years ago I read to turn on the hot water faucet and let the water get hot before running the dishwasher. Starting off with hot water helps clean the dishes better.

Be still, and know.
Contributor

On 1/10/2015 suzyQ3 said:
On 1/10/2015 ib_sewing2 said:

TSP is a phosphate. It's your choice whether to use it. I won't use phosphates for the reasons outlined in my Post #58.

tsp is now made without phosphates.....