Honored Contributor

Re: Disappointed with the Carla Hall products

@skatting44    I didn't see that show, but your post sent me back to the 1950's.   I think every house had a fat keeper on or near the stove.  In every one that I remember whether it held bacon grease, lard, or schmaltz - the container was an old jar.  I didn't know anyone who spent good money for a special container.

That memory also reminded me to be thankful for all I now have instead of lamenting what I no longer buy.

Thanks!

Frequent Contributor

I have ordered several Carla Hall items and find them all to be above average in quality,,  Especialy I like the bacon grease keeper.  Some people just don't understand southern cooking.  Also enjoy her cooking tips given throughout her presentations.  

Esteemed Contributor

Her friend JZ is making a bundle on QVC, so she is there to get her piece of the pie. I think it might be a brilliant, move for QVC to merge with the Food Network chefs.

I don’t buy anything that is associated with a famous person or chef. But there are a lot of fans out there that will buy.

Valued Contributor

@Othereeeen wrote:

...My fave gimmick of all time was the "garbage bowl" from Rachel Ray.

Yep! - I was amazed that people were so gullible - What cook doesn't have a large bowl in her kitchen that she can use to put scraps of food in and then toss? Smiley Tongue

Respected Contributor

I always liked Carla Hall, especially on The Chew. I didn't know she had a product line, but I expect that, like Rachael Ray's, a number of her items will eventually show up at Ollie's. 😀

What worries you masters you.
Respected Contributor

@Lila4Now wrote:
All of QVC’s kitchen shows have mostly cheap trinkets. Vary rare to find quality anything in their kitchen products. I quit watching them years ago, just review items after show has aired. Plus, I get to avoid David rudely interrupting those presenting with his giving colors, over, and over, and over, again.

How do you know what David does  if you " quit watching years ago"...🙄

Respected Contributor

My mother and grandmother cooked with bacon grease also. I never knew what made many dishes so good until  I left home and started cooking on my own. She made the best cornbread with it. Here's was just like cake! Yum! 

Valued Contributor

@Franklinbell wrote:

My mother and grandmother cooked with bacon grease also...

Best seasoning EVER!!! Smiley Wink

Respected Contributor

@LavernLuvsShoes wrote:

@Franklinbell wrote:

My mother and grandmother cooked with bacon grease also...

Best seasoning EVER!!! Smiley Wink

It isn't just a southern way to season foods, all my life as a northerner, it has been in common use.  I can't imagine how the easily offended would have managed through the Great Depression and earlier when home slaughtering was the norm, everything that could be used, was.

Contributor

Agreedd.  Very odd to sell frozen cornbread mix.  Takes a couple of minutes to mix cornbread, whether box or scratch.  Plus, cornbread should always be baked in a cast iron pan.  I use my 8" Lodge and a box of Jiffy mix. Liberally grease the pan, get it smoking hot on stove top or oven, then pour in the cornbread. You will hear a sizzle.  Bake per package directions. Best cornbread ever.  Costs pennies.