Honored Contributor

Re: Disappointed in Corelle Dinnerware.

"no longer being made in Corning NY but instead being manufactured overseas they have just decreased in any kind of quality control."

Not surprising and you zeroed in on the problem.   

I'd call Corelle and lodge a complaint about this.  

Respected Contributor

@fthunt wrote:

Could the new dishes be  fake - not the real Corella?

I gave up on my heavy Johnson Bros  England last year and bought 2 sets of Corelle and love them.  Dishwasher action every week - no sign of change yet; but decoration is only gray 2 stripes going around edge plus some dots.

Can you call Corella and ask and perhaps get replacements?

I suppose the dishes could be a Corelle counterfeit but I did order them directly through the Corelle website.    Although I'm not sure where the dishes were manufactured.     

I did contact the website and they told me the dishes only had a 90 day warranty.  They would not replace any of them.

I'm glad your dishes are holding up so well.  Perhaps it was just that particular pattern that I chose.    I'm tempted to just donate them and go to Walmart and buy a set of the plain white ones.  

I just hate to spend more money when I have a whole cupboard full of relatively new dishes.

Honored Contributor

I purchased a plain white set a few years back.  They have turned like a dingy grey tint.  I too was disappointed.  

Honored Contributor

I actually purchased a set.....at a yard sale.  I wanted to by an extra everyday dish set.  And I happen to go past the yard sale.  It had never been used.  It was full set in green, the dishes, salad bowls, cups, saucers.  I think I paid $5.00 for it.  Something like that.  This was about 7 years ago.  Still have it.  I couldn't believe my luck when I saw.  I almost didn't buy it.  Somehow the idea of something you eat on, purchased at  a yard sale.  But in the end, I was really glad.  My only Corelle set.

Honored Contributor

Wow, I'm shocked to hear these issues with Corelle.  I have a set (blue and white, service for four) that's about 20 years old.  We bought it when we first moved back from England so we had something to use while renting.

I still have it, boxed in the basement, and was thinking of donating it somewhere.  It had a lifetime warranty on it.  Now I think I'll try selling it!

I'd say the new sets aren't being sealed properly.  That with the new, harsher dishwasher detergents essentially sandblasts the finish off.  We bought three matching cat dishes and they've completely lost their design, due to the dishwasher detergent.  Thankfully, they weren't expensive, but I wonder about how safe they are, even for my furbabies to eat off now.  There's no telling whether there's lead in the composition.  Things from China???

We have an outlet near us that sells Corning and Corelle.  Guess I won't be bothering with anything from them in the future.

Respected Contributor

@drizzellla wrote:

I wonder if it is your dishwasher detergent. My husband bought me Rocky and Bullwinkle glasses last Christmas. And they went through the dishwasher just a few times. Now the color is all gone on the glasses. And it is hard to make out the original design.

Yet, I have old jelly (Welchs) glasses with Tom & Jerry on them. They have to be 30+ years old. And the design on the glasses look like they are new.

If my older set were also starting to fade I would blame the dishwasher detergent but like your old Welch jelly glasses they still look good after years in the same dishwasher with the same Cascade detergent.   

I'm sorry to hear about your Rocky and Bullwinkle glasses.    I always loved to watch that show.    I have a few of those jelly glasses that featured the Peanuts characters and I really treasure them.  

You just can't find those mementos any longer.   I've looked on e-Bay and even if you can find them the prices they are asking are ridiculous.

Respected Contributor

I've had the same problem with my Corelle dishes and the blue lines and flowers around the edge is coming off in places.  It makes me sick. 

I'm so tired of companies making inferior products.  I wish there was something we as consumers could do about it. It's not only Corelle.

Honored Contributor

@J Town Girl 

Just as an FYI - I went on WayFair's website and they have a lot of Corelle dish sets and I looked at one of them and it said "Country of origin: United States" which I thought you'd like to know.  So was thinking this may be an option for you if you want to replace the ones you have that are fading.  WayFair is also having a sale on them right now too.  

Trusted Contributor

My first set of dishes as a young adult was the Corelle winter white.  It is still my everyday dish set 40 years later.  One of the things I always liked about them was that they are open stock, so you can replace them as they bite the dust.

Like everyone else here, I have noticed that the finish doesn't stay as shiny on the new replacement pieces over time and they show scratches.  I thought it was my imagination, but judging by the other comments here, I'm not imagining this.  How sad! Maybe I can find some of the older pieces out there. somewhere.

Honored Contributor

I would call Corelle and make my complaint known

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.