Valued Contributor

Re: Dirty dishes ....do people really do this?

@ChynnaBlue wrote:

I don't wash the dishes every day. I live alone and don't eat every meal at home, and I have a dishwasher. Dishes get rinsed and go in the dishwasher to get washed when it's full OR based on how much room I'll need to wash a dinner pot/pan. If I don't eat at home much during a week, I've got very few dishes to wash and have gone a week without running the dishwasher.

I'm not running the dishwasher for two plates, 2 cups, and 3 pieces of flatware and I'm not washing them by hand, either. Handwashing is a waste of my time and water.

Wow, interesting take on washing dishes by hand.

Contributor

WELL...... if all you use are cups then once a week is fine. Ive done it.Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@ChiliPepper wrote:

@house_cat

Are they possibly referring to filling your dish washer & only running it once a week when it's full???

I would still want to wash them before I put them in the dishwasher to sit for a week LOL!!!

OMS my MIL will not run her dishwasher until EVERY AVAILABLE spot is taken up by SOMETHING! During our visit last Christmas I opend the dishwasher and it was PACKED! There was so much stuff in there I don't see how the wash could even be effective. I was grossed out. I poured a glass of wine, then another, then it didn't matter anymore.

Time is just a drop in the bucket compared to eternity. It isn’t how long you live that matters; it is how well you are prepared to die. ~~Colonel Robert B. Thieme, Jr.
Honored Contributor

We have a "rinse and hold" on our dishwasher.  Sometimes if we only have a few things in it and they are basically not really dirty, I'll do that then wash a whole load the next day.   Usually it's a few glasses, maybe a few salad or dessert plates or something like that.  Nothing that would be really goopy. 

Super Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

We have a "rinse and hold" on our dishwasher.  Sometimes if we only have a few things in it and they are basically not really dirty, I'll do that then wash a whole load the next day.   Usually it's a few glasses, maybe a few salad or dessert plates or something like that.  Nothing that would be really goopy. 

We do that too @Sooner.

Honored Contributor

My Sweet Mother taught me to have everything clean including dishes when you go to bed because you never know when an emergency may happen during the night.

I have a friend that is a paramedic and he said you can't believe some of the houses they have to enter.

Just a thought.

Honored Contributor

@ChynnaBlue wrote:

I don't wash the dishes every day. I live alone and don't eat every meal at home, and I have a dishwasher. Dishes get rinsed and go in the dishwasher to get washed when it's full OR based on how much room I'll need to wash a dinner pot/pan. If I don't eat at home much during a week, I've got very few dishes to wash and have gone a week without running the dishwasher.

I'm not running the dishwasher for two plates, 2 cups, and 3 pieces of flatware and I'm not washing them by hand, either. Handwashing is a waste of my time and water.

@ChynnaBlue

Ditto ...  Mine is run every few days.  

Regular Contributor

That's kind of what I do. Everytime I get a dish/plate/cup dirty I put it in the dishwasher and wait until its full then I wash it all. It's usually 2x/week though to wash because my son is always using a clean plate instead of paper for some things like he easily could.  I don't see a problem with it. Now if I had to hand wash all my dishes I would wash them every day.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

We run a full load of dishes every night. There are only two humans in the house, but we have six cats and a beagle. They get fed three meals a day and a few snacks in between....always on clean plates; I would never make them eat from dirty plates. (We have 30 saucers for the cats' and we use them every day. The beagle has three bowls. And there are two large water dishes with a third one ready when the other two are in the dishwasher.)

And I cook dinner every night, so we have our share of dirty dishes and pots and pans and such. 

Respected Contributor

I could only hope it means in the dishwasher? I don't run mine til full, and now were empty nesters that is sometimes a day or two!
Never underestimate the power of kindness.