Trusted Contributor

Re: Dirty dishes ....do people really do this?

that's positively gross. if I did that, all the dishes would be so caked up with residue and it would be so daunting to wash off that I'd probably want to just toss them. I have a dishwasher but hardly ever use it. I wash dishes by hand everyday, as soon as I'm done with them. 

Honored Contributor

@Leeny wrote:

I would never do that. Although I use to have an Aunt that put hers in the oven. She would wait until the dishpan was full then wash. I'd be afraid I'd turn the oven on and start a hot mess. 

ITA. I do keep a couple of cast iron pans in the oven. Doubt it would start a fire.

I don't even like it when DH puts anything on the stovetop or near it even if it's not turned on. Just not a good idea.

Respected Contributor

A lot of people that live by themselves or just a couple will run their dishwasher only when it is full and that can take a week. I think they rinse the dishes before putting them in the dishwasher though. I only run ours every couple of days because it is just myself and my husband. Of course they get rinsed before being put in the dishwasher. I can't imagine leaving dirty dishes in a sink or on counters though for a week if you didn't have a dishwasher! YUCK

Honored Contributor

I hate HATE leaving dishes in the sink, but I don't hesitate letting the dishwasher go for a couple days of there isn't much to be done.

I'm inclined to do it more often when it's as hot as it is now.

Typically I rinse my dishes before they go into the DW anyway, since my DW is not really that great (Kenmore thinks it is and I disagree) .

ALL THAT SAID, the dishwasher broke over a week ago, and I was VERY sad without it and VERY happy that it has been fixed.

Honored Contributor

If someone doesn't have enough dishes to use the dishwasher then it would only take a few minutes to handwash them so why is a dishwasher needed anyway??  I could never do that.  My dishes are washed immediately after using usually.  I don't get it!!   Watching others with dishwashers load them I don't see how it's any help or easier.  I can  completely rinse and then handwash  dishes way faster than I've seen others loading their dishwasher

Frequent Contributor

I usually wash my dishes each day by hand. I try to avoid my dishwasher if at all possible. If my husband is out of town, I tend to use paper plates & spoons and don't even have to worry about it.

Honored Contributor

I admit that I probably have enough dishes I could do that, but why would you?

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Honored Contributor

Guilty

I live alone, I rarely cook.    

There may be a random glass, bowl or a few utensils in the sink on any given day.  I have a double sink, one sink stays pristine.   The dirty items are well rinsed & neatly stacked.   After I feed the fur-babies, I do a tidy-up around the sink, stove (mostly used as a countertop) and countertops.    

I have a demanding job & a long commute daily.   I've had to learn to let some stuff go.    My first chore on every Saturday morning is to wash up what may be in the sink from the weekdays.   I do them all by hand.

First glance at my kitchen, it looks neat, it's only when you walk over to the sink that you see the few items needing washed.

It's not the way I was raised, it's not the way I've lived most of my life but it's my new normal, until I retire.

@house_cat wrote:

I'm reading yet another book on home keeping and organizing - it's a passion of mine.  Just when I thought I'd read all the suggestions the world has to offer, this author recommends washing your dishes every day and not saving them until the end of the week.

Whaaaaaa?

Does anyone do that?!  I'm really dumbfounded.  I know not everyone is a neat freak, but really?  Saving your dishes to wash once a week?  

I can hardly believe it.

Respected Contributor

@Pook wrote:

If someone doesn't have enough dishes to use the dishwasher then it would only take a few minutes to handwash them so why is a dishwasher needed anyway??  I could never do that.  My dishes are washed immediately after using usually.  I don't get it!!   Watching others with dishwashers load them I don't see how it's any help or easier.  I can  completely rinse and then handwash  dishes way faster than I've seen others loading their dishwasher

@Pook  I love my DW.  I love the idea that it sanitizes and also uses less water than handwashing.

Honored Contributor

It's a great point that you bring up, MIMA - washing dishes by hand uses way more water, comparatively speaking, than washing them in the dishwasher.

I do have dishes that are in constant, or near-constant, use, so I wash them by hand.  Also, of course, pots and pans, and my knives.

But if I washed all my dishes by hand, and I probably use less than most here, I would be wasting a LOT of water.