Respected Contributor

Re: Dirty dishes ....do people really do this?

I would never do that. Although I use to have an Aunt that put hers in the oven. She would wait until the dishpan was full then wash. I'd be afraid I'd turn the oven on and start a hot mess. 

Esteemed Contributor

Pleading The Fifth.  😆

Honored Contributor

I don't own a dishwasher. I am it. I won't do anything that might bring creepy crawlies into the home. Dishes need to be done here.

Honored Contributor

@house_cat wrote:

I'm reading yet another book on home keeping and organizing - it's a passion of mine.  Just when I thought I'd read all the suggestions the world has to offer, this author recommends washing your dishes every day and not saving them until the end of the week.

Whaaaaaa?

Does anyone do that?!  I'm really dumbfounded.  I know not everyone is a neat freak, but really?  Saving your dishes to wash once a week?  

I can hardly believe it.

This person probably lives alone.  I do also and wash my dishes mostly by hand but if I wanted to use my dishwasher, it would probably be once a week.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@Kachina624

Nope.  She's a writer who works from home. Her husband is a pastor and she has three children.

~ house cat ~
Trusted Contributor

That's a good week for college students, I think, that they get washed once a week.  Our experience, trash, dishes and laundry; not a high priority.

They could get 4 days out of a pair of boxers.  Front, back and inside out.Woman Surprised  That's what we were told.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

After tv shows about hoarders, nothing surprises me.

Respected Contributor

We don't have a dishwasher, well except me and DH.  I wash dishes, dry them and put them away after every meal.  Even snacks.  I can't stand a sink full of dirty dishes.  If I had a dishwasher I would run it every single day and put the dishes away.  That's just the way I do things.  I know people get busy but good grief.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

As soon as the dishes or whatever, are dirty, I hand wash them in hot soapy water, rinse, dry, put them away.  This is just standard procedure.  In the evening wipe down countertops, stove, table, etc., take out the trash and sweep and mop the kitchen/dining area.  I do not have a dishwasher so hand washing is the only way.  Just the way I was brought up -- but everything is always sparkling clean.  Woman Wink

Honored Contributor

The dishes I hand-wash, I do those once to twice a day.  But the ones that I put in the dishwasher I could not even imagine wasting the water and energy to run it every day SINCE it takes me a lot longer than that to fill it up.  

If I were going to wash EVERY dish every day, then I wouldn't put any in my dishwasher.  I understand that families can probably pretty much fill up a dishwasher every day or so but I mostly just cook for me, the bird, and the dog.    There is no way I could fill up the dishwasher in less than a week except maybe for the whole Thanksgiving thing.