Respected Contributor

Re: Did your mom have a signature dish or something she made especially well?

She made a tall rice pudding dish with raisins sometimes. It was the creamiest pudding with the rice kernels intact. Wish I could taste it again!
We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Regular Contributor

Lemon meringue pie - she was famous for it where we lived! All of her baking/cooking was amazing but this was super special. Oh..she also made these amazing decorated sugar cookies for Christmas - everyone got a big decorated box of them and our entire living room had tables in it with cookies waiting to be frosted and decorated for the weeks up to Christmas. Her decorated Easter eggs were a work of art too! She was very talented and artistic!!

Esteemed Contributor

My mom was born in New York but she learned to cook great Jewish foods. For the holidays she would make chulent -- a blend of beef stew (in small pieces); barley; kidney beans; garbanzo beans. It cooked for several hours. She made blintzes from scratch; the best chopped liver; several versions of chicken; chicken soup; kasha with bow ties. Nothing frozen. My mom worked full-time for many years. She came home from work and cooked dinner every night. Don't know how she did it.

Respected Contributor

My mom is very sweet but can't cook really well. The only thing I really liked was her fried chicken, and I think that recipe was from my grandma. To this day I want it! To her defense, she did work full time and didn't have a lot of free time to spend in the kitchen.

Regular Contributor

My Mom made the best roasted spare ribs-she boiled them first, then roasted them with a tomato sauce, fell off the bones.

Her fried eggs had brown edges, her fried pork chops would have cracked into pieces if dropped on the floor. Her goulash was pasta with a can of tomato paste.

But-her spare ribs were the best!{#emotions_dlg.rolleyes}

Occasional Contributor

My mother passed away at the end of March, missing her 88th birthday by about 2 weeks. She was a farm wife, known for her big meals to keep the threshing crews energized. When I was growing up, she fed the teenagers Dad hired to help with unloading hay. Her specialty? Pork roast or pork steak served with sauerkraut and potato dumplings! A heavy meal that kept the crew from getting hungry! Dessert would be an apple or lemon meringue pie or some sort of cake. We never had trouble finding workers because the guys knew they could expect a good meal in addition to their pay!
Trusted Contributor

Due to my dad's demands, most food she cooked was quite bland. However, she made luscious Butterscotch and Custard pies.

You'll find my heart at the Rainbow Bridge. Smiley Sad