Esteemed Contributor

Re: Did your mom have a signature dish or something she made especially well?

When we were in grade school (back in the 50's), mom used to make salmon soufflé. Even as a kid, I remember liking it.

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea-Robert A. Heinlein
Respected Contributor

On 5/12/2014 Chrysla said:

Ma knocked it out of the park with frozen TV dinners. Much easier for her and for me it was far better than her limited repetoire cooking.

My mother cooked soup kitchen style. I'm alive today because of it.

Valued Contributor

Salmon patties with mustard gravy. Mashed potatoes, peas, and tomatoes. All together it was a very colorful plate. I make it about 2x a yr. Hard to get my husband to eat mustard gravy, but it is delicious.

Honored Contributor

On 5/12/2014 kittymomNC said:

House cat, thanks for starting this thread. I already posted about my Mom's vegetable beef soup, but I just wanted to say that I have thoroughly enjoyed reading about other posters' memories of their Moms and their cooking (or not cookingWink). These stories have brought back even more wonderful memories of my own mother. {#emotions_dlg.wub}

I'm glad you're enjoying it. I am, too. Some of the responses brought a tear to my eye and some cracked me up! I just love sharing memories and experiences with all of you on this forum. Thank you so much. Smile

~ house cat ~
Respected Contributor

My favorite was her roast beef, mashed potatoes and gravy, usually served with corn. She always roasted the beef to perfection. When she moved I took that same pan but for some reason it's just not the same. She always made a dessert also. It's amazing what she did having four kids and working full time. She is still an amazing mother.

Honored Contributor

I couldn't think of anything before, but she made the most fabulous baked beans. I just can't do it, and I even have her bean pot.

Esteemed Contributor

She made what she called Chicken and Rice (casserole). Loved it and can still see us around the dinner table enjoying it. I have the table... no recipe anywhere I can find.

Honored Contributor

I loved her goulash, I still make it. My comfort food.

Honored Contributor

Rum balls. They were really good, but very boozy. She hid them while curing them because she was afraid I might get into them and think they were chocolate and make myself sick! That, incidentally, made it sooooo special when I got to have a tiny part of one of them during the holidays.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

My mother made the best baked chicken with mashed potatoes and gravy.