Super Contributor

Re: Did your mom have a signature dish or something she made especially well?

Anything pastry, my mom made the lightest, flakiest, most delicious pastry ever. Her pie crust, tarts, turnovers were superb. Oh, and her Yorkshire Pudding...it was always fluffy and light. She tried to teach me, and I do okay, but mine are nothing close to hers. My mom didn't start out as a great cook, but she used what she learned from her mother and sisters and over the years she was amazing... she showed her love in many ways, but she loved to cook for our family. {#emotions_dlg.wub}

Regular Contributor

deviled eggs - fried chicken - chocolate meringue pie! To this day I get close but still can't perfect hers.

Honored Contributor

I loved my mother dearly but she was the worst cook ever. Everything had either soup in it or it came out of a box. She used to mixed cream of chicken soup and tomato soup together put macaroni in it, some slices of cheese and tomato on top and tell us that was macaroni and cheese. Just one of many of her meals!!

Respected Contributor

My mom was the best cook ever from her homemade yeast rolls, bbq chicken, pot roast, fried chicken, biscuits, stovetop peach cobbler and fabulous veggies. She never really measured either, just a pinch of this and a pinch of that LOL. My pinches have NEVER tasted remotely like her's.

Honored Contributor

Pork, dumplings & sauerkraut. My mom's was the best!

kindness is strength
Valued Contributor

Mom made the most delicious cake . It was a white cake (3 tier) with maraschino cherries chopped small and finely chopped walnuts in the cake. Topped with a butter cream frosting that had the cherries and walnuts in it also .This was back in the 40's To this day I still remember the wonderful taste of it .

Respected Contributor

Anything Italian, wonderful meals, & a great baker, my Dad also was a super chef, & like many of you have said, no recipe, just knew how to do it, baked bread once a week, no recipe, always gave a loaf away, that was her motto, best bread I ever had, miss those days.

Contributor

My Mom wasn't a great cook. However, I loved her stuffed cabbage. And she also made Swiss steak. anyone else's Mom make Swiss steak?
Respected Contributor

Everything. She was a fabulous cook. Nothing fancy, just great down home Southern food. Her best was fried chicken and her pie crusts. Never saw her use a recipe , ever.
Respected Contributor

On 5/10/2014 sagittarian said: My Mom wasn't a great cook. However, I loved her stuffed cabbage. And she also made Swiss steak. anyone else's Mom make Swiss steak?

Yes, I remember Swiss steak!

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.--Marcus Tullius Cicero