Super Contributor

Re: Did you get a ham recently, and were you happy with it?

Always have a country ham from Cracker Barrel.  Pre cooked but I put it in oven for a couple of hours on 275 degrees.  Hams are very good but this year was the best ham we ever had. 

Trusted Contributor

I spent my day yesterday writing letters to Smithfield foods.  We purchased a Smithfield Brown sugar spiral ham at our local B.J.'s club for Christmas dinner.  It was horrible. It was all fatty and disgusting and I was embarassed to serve it.  I could have went to the super market and bought a store brand or other cheap cut of meat but at holiday time you want everything to be special.  Smithfield used to be a trusted brand,  but no more. I will NEVER purchase anything from this company again.   I told them that I will be telling everyone I know the same.   They wanted my reciept and the wrapper that it came in.  They don't get it.   I want my special Christmas meal back.  I certainly do not want anymore products or coupons from them.  Cooks is also one of their brands.  So i will be looking else where for Easter.

Esteemed Contributor

This year we had a "carver ham" and I will not go back to a regular or spiral ham.  There was no fat and not one iota of waste.  A little pricey but well worth the money.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Honored Contributor

@Marp I don't know what a carver ham is?

Super Contributor

@nada54 so sorry your ham was not satisfactory.  Growing up my mother ALWAYS had a Smithfield ham.  Your post reminded me of how good the hams were.  Now that was back when you had to soak the hams (country hams were really salty).  Cook it and she would decorate with brown sugar, pineapple rings with a red cherry in the center of the pineapple and cloves stuck in it.  I know you wanted everything perfect for your dinner,  but I am sure everyone appreciated the effort you put into making your meal special for all that were there.  Although the ham was a disappointment to you, you did remind me of my dear mother (she passed away Dec 2018) ...out of something bad something good can happen.  Thank you for reminding me of how special she was to me.  

Honored Contributor

We were fortunate in that a friend asked us to drive down into Wisconsin to get a smoked ham.  They are a fortune, so I got a piece enough for us for 17.00.  I've given up on supermarket hams, we had a Fricks butt end last year that was good.  Their shanks have too much bone for my taste and that's all our market carried this year.  As for Hormel Cure 81 and the rest of the bunch, I'm done.  

Esteemed Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

@Marp I don't know what a carver ham is?

@Sooner,  I don't really know how to describe a carver ham other than to say it is a cut of ham that would be comparable in shape to a beef brisket.  Mine looked like the photo but was a different brand.  Absolutely delicious and the texture was so much better than spiral hams.  We sliced it about 1/4 inch thick.

Boneless Carver Ham

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Valued Contributor

Our local grocery store sells Kentucky Legend hams. they are always so lean and we just love them. its just my husband and I so its easy to find a small one

Frequent Contributor

@luvsbulldogs wrote:

We have tried a ton of different brands and always find some fault with them all.  For the last 5 or 6 years we have been ordering a Boars Head ham from our local butcher shop.  You can also order a half of ham.  They have all been excellent.  They are pricey but well worth it. 

This may not work for everyone, but BH also sells boneless pre-packed mini-hams.  We liked it....and zero waste.  I'm not one to make ham soup so it was just right for us.