Honored Contributor

Did you get a ham recently, and were you happy with it?

We first bought a natural, uncured ham that had no taste to it.  It basically was a very mild pork roast.  Not much fat, not a lot of flavor.  OK but NOT ham.

Next we bought a Frick's ham that we served for Christmas and it was very good.  We were happy with it.  We used to buy Cure 81 but they are hit and miss now, and Honey Baked doesn't have a shop near us now.  

So I thought it would be nice to find out what hams you have gotten lately and get a review!  

Maybe it will help us shop next time!  

Respected Contributor

Re: Did you get a ham recently, and were you happy with it?

Not a ham, but a large fully cooked turkey breast, which had no flavor, had a dense texture, very salty. Tried it chopped up in soup, still not good, wound up throwing it away.🙁

I will never buy pre cooked turkey again .👎

Frequent Contributor

I tried a Cook's spiral sliced ham this year - not happy with the product at all.  Too much fat inside, not enough flavor and the "spiral slicing" didn't go all the way through so it was very difficult to get clean slices off.  I won't be buying this brand again.  I don't know if I should let the company know as I threw the wrapper out immediately so I wouldn't have any mfg. information to share.  I'm going back to Costco's spiral next time!

Honored Contributor

When my husband was alive we always bought Honey Baked ham.

My daughter had ham at her Open House Christmas party on Saturday.

It was excellent.  I don't know if it was Honey Baked or not.

I love, love ham.  But it has way too much sodium in it.  

I swell up like a balloon!  My Dr said I should think of sodium as something I'm 'allergic' to!?

My daughter sent me home with some because I didn't eat much there.  I stood over the kitchen sink and just picked and ate it!

There are several Honey Baked places near me.  Sometimes my friend and I go and get a ham sandwich.  There's a small area where you can sit and eat the sandwiches.

I always take home about 1 lb or so to eat over time.

So, I went to my daughter's house for Christmas day.  She prepared for the first course ham and potato soup.  It was delicious.

I'd always make string beans, potatoes and ham after the celebrations.

It's a family tradition from my mother.  My sisters do the same thing.

Ham a few times a year is good.  OMG!  I just finished take home Olive Garden, but the idea of ham is yum!

Trusted Contributor

We had two Costco spiral cut hams and they were awful.  Full of fat and at least half of one ham wasn't cut.  We have them every year and usually they are very good but this year was a complete fail.

Super Contributor

I bought a Smithfield shank ham last week, cooked it Saturday.  It was delicious.  Used part of it to make Scalloped Potatoes and Ham which was outstanding.  Put the leftover ham in the freezer and will make Scalloped Potatoes and Ham again in January.  My daughter served a spiral ham (don't know the brand) for Christmas dinner.  It was really good!

Trusted Contributor

@Sooner   For the last three years we have bought a Sam's Choice Spiral Cut Ham from Walmart.  Everyone who has eaten it thinks it is very good. Not a lot of salt just good taste.

Respected Contributor

I was very pleased with my ham this year. It was a store brand spiral sliced. Some of the spirals were not cut all the way but just cut with a knife. I don't care if the slices are perfect. By the time they reach your stomach they are not slices anymore, I care more about taste & this was excellent.

Honored Contributor

@grandma2pkmh wrote:

@Sooner   For the last three years we have bought a Sam's Choice Spiral Cut Ham from Walmart.  Everyone who has eaten it thinks it is very good. Not a lot of salt just good taste.

I got a smaller Sam's Spiral cut, and was pleasantly surprised at the not too salty taste. I made potato soup today, and added the chopped up leftover ham, so good. 😋

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Honored Contributor

Yes, my husband wanted ham for Christmas, so I bought a Cumberland Gap boneless ham from Kroger.   My husband and I are very happy with the ham; he could eat ham every day.  

I am super sensitive to salt, and have a huge problem with ham.   There have been numerous times in my life when I’m at a family gathering where everyone is raving about the ham, and I can’t eat it because all I taste is salt!   I honestly will be the only person in the entire room, who thinks the ham is salty.   I have eaten 3 slices of this ham so far, which is the most ham I’ve eaten all year, and it is good.   Cooking a pot of beans with some ham tomorrow.