Super Contributor

Re: Did you ever hear of a cream cheese and apricot spread?

At a B and B in Washington State we were served a cream cheese spread that had just a little apricot liqueur stirred in it as well as apricot preserves, and some small bits of fresh cooked apricot. It was absolutely addictive.

Esteemed Contributor

On 1/12/2015 ciao_bella said:
On 1/12/2015 Debbie555 said: This reminds me of something I ate as a kid, cream cheese and jelly sandwiches! Just regular grape jelly, anyone ever eat this? I haven't had one of those in over 45 years!

Debbie555... I've eaten those same cream cheese and grape jelly sandwiches when I was a kid..and loved them too! As an adult for breakfast, occasionally, I will toast an English muffin and put cream cheese and some kind of jam (usually seedless raspberry) on it. Brings back nice memories and still tastes good to me..Smiley Happy

I do the same thing!!! I also love apricot jam.

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam
Respected Contributor

That was my mother's FAVORITE combination. I have to say, not me! In fact, I was sent to bed without supper as a second grader (not nice, I didn't understand my homework because I had been out of school six weeks with a broken leg and we moved to a new school. This was back in the old days...) After I did my homework, I got a cream cheese and apricot jam sandwich. I was not happy about that. Mom was making what she thought was delicious but forgot I didn't like it.

Haven't eaten that to this day!

Honored Contributor

cream cheese and minced dried apricots used to be a popular filling for finger sandwiches

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

Remember that recipe for a block of cheese w/ something or other on top? I'm sure you could do the same thing w/apricot spread.

'cuz every girl's crazy 'bout a sharp dressed man
Regular Contributor

Yes, when we were children we loved cream cheese and jelly sandwiches. Welch' s jelly was the norm in those days. What memories. Think I will have some today.
Regular Contributor

Found this on Taste of Home website. Have not tried it, but it sounds delicious. POSTING WITH IPAD. 1 package (8 ounces) fat-free cream cheese........ 1/3 cup apple jelly, warmed....... 1 tablespoon prepared horseradish...... 1-1/2 teaspoons ground mustard...... 1/3 cup apricot spreadable fruit....... Assorted crackers......... 1. Place cream cheese on a serving plate........In a small microwave-safe bowl,heat jelly until warmed......... Stir in horseradish and mustard until blended.......... Stir in spreadable fruit; spoon over cream cheese......... Serve with crackers. Refrigerate leftovers. ........ Yield: 1-1/3 cups. Nutritional Facts 2 tablespoons (calculated without crackers) equals 73 calories
Honored Contributor

Thanks cece...that does sound good! I love horseradish! Super Bowl for sure!

Frequent Contributor

Hello everyone! I'm the OP and back to say thanks! I really enjoyed reading all of your responses!

I can't remember if that recipe had horseradish in it, but it's possible!

I'm also thinking maybe it could have been Brie or goat cheese-thanks for the suggestion on that too!

Hope everyone's cream cheese and jam sandwiches are as good as they remember!

Have a good night!

Super Contributor

On 1/13/2015 cece5231 said: Found this on Taste of Home website. Have not tried it, but it sounds delicious. POSTING WITH IPAD. 1 package (8 ounces) fat-free cream cheese........ 1/3 cup apple jelly, warmed....... 1 tablespoon prepared horseradish...... 1-1/2 teaspoons ground mustard...... 1/3 cup apricot spreadable fruit....... Assorted crackers......... 1. Place cream cheese on a serving plate........In a small microwave-safe bowl,heat jelly until warmed......... Stir in horseradish and mustard until blended.......... Stir in spreadable fruit; spoon over cream cheese......... Serve with crackers. Refrigerate leftovers. ........ Yield: 1-1/3 cups. Nutritional Facts 2 tablespoons (calculated without crackers) equals 73 calories

This sounds delicious, cece. I formatted it for my files, so am posting here for everyone.

Found this on Taste of Home website. Have not tried it, but it sounds delicious.

1 package (8 ounces) fat-free cream cheese
1/3 cup apple jelly, warmed
1 tablespoon prepared horseradish
1-1/2 teaspoons ground mustard
1/3 cup apricot spreadable fruit
Assorted crackers

Place cream cheese on a serving plate.In a small microwave-safe bowl, heat jelly until warmed
Stir in horseradish and mustard until blended. Stir in spreadable fruit; spoon over cream cheese
Serve with crackers. Refrigerate leftovers

Yield: 1-1/3 cups.

Nutritional Facts 2 tablespoons (calculated without crackers) equals 73 calories