Valued Contributor

Did anyone order the the bite size cakes from Smith Island Baking?

I wasn't sure if this was the right forum to post my question. Got the order yesterday and the red velvet are gummy. I haven't tried the chocolate yet. Disappointed. First time I've ordered a food item from the q.

Honored Contributor

Re: Did anyone order the the bite size cakes from Smith Island Baking?

Call CS and tell them you are dissatisfied.  They should refund the cost and S & H.

Honored Contributor

Your first complaint should be to CS, I am sure they can help you.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Valued Contributor

Thanks, I didn't know how to handle a food item.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

When I saw this post I had no idea these cakes were on QVC.  I live half hour from this bakery and 5 minutes from one of their other bakeries. Many years ago and I am talking about 15 years ago the only way you could get these cakes was from one woman and her family on Smith Island in Maryland who baked them. Whenever I wanted one I would tell a woman that I worked with who is related to these folks and she would get me one. There was only one flavor, the original yellow with chocolate icing. Before long, they were making them out of a very small strip mall bakery with family only. They were unbelievably delicious. Well, the operation expanded and to many of us locals, the cakes just weren’t the same. Not sure what happened there, but they just lost their moistness and flavor.  I can get these cakes baked fresh every morning and I just don’t think they are worth it anymore.  If I really want the authentic cake, I will have my co-worker get one baked by one of the women from Smith Island.  A lot of times the genuine recipes get altered for mass production and I think that’s what happened here. At least to those of us here on the Eastern Shore. 

Respected Contributor

@Nadine wrote:

Thanks, I didn't know how to handle a food item.

I would never return a food item to any store unless its bug infested or something horrible is wrong with it.   Because the texture or taste is not to your liking is no reason to return food.  Just my opinion.  Others may have no issues requesting refunds but I would feel funny about it.

Valued Contributor

I hadn't planned on returning or even asking for a refund. I was just wondering if anyone else had gotten them and what they thought. I wondered if the gummy stick to the roof of your mouth was normal.