Honored Contributor

Re: Did Your Family Ever Use Divided Veg Bowls?

We used them when I was growing up.  My mother had several.  I don't know what happened to them.

i have a few divided serving pieces, but they are not deep enough for vegetables. I use them for olives, pickles and other munchies.

Valued Contributor

I have some divided dishes and I really like them.  I have a few divided plates but I am the only one that use them.  I don't like my food to mixed together on a regular plate.  My husband is the opposite he piles everything on a plate and don't care what mixes together, he will always make a little hole in the middle of his mash potatoes and put a veggie in the middle, especially corn and peas.

Respected Contributor

I have a plain white one that I use during holiday meals for husband and self.  Will put mashed potatoes on one side and stuffing on the other side.  I think they are handy, expecially for a family and limiting number of serving dishes 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Yes, for raw vegetables or olives and pickles, but not for mashed potatoes and corn, peas, etc.   My grandmothers cooked for such a crowd, the bowls for mashed potatoes, green beans, etc., were among the largest she owned.

Trusted Contributor

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

@ECBG  Yes, I have the set of apple dishes and the divided bowl. At times I use it.

I have my moms Fransican dishes in the Apple pattern. I think she bought every thing that they made in that pattern LOL.  Don't use them often but I love seeing them in my china closet. Reminds me so much of her

Honored Contributor

I had a Corningware French White divided dish that I used all the time--got it at a yard sale for 50 cents years ago--but I dropped i and shattered it---am still bummed. Think I have one in that is fiestaware but that is in storage. I used it for about everything. 

Valued Contributor

@ECBG Yes, often. We were a family of 3 and typically had our evening meal at the dining table.  My mother loved her china and our daily use pattern was the Franciscan Ware Desert Rose. (Her sister had the Apple Blossom pattern that you posted.)

Franciscan Desert Rose Pattern Round Vegetable Serving Bowl image 1

For a fun, casual night, we enjoyed a Swanson TV dinner, with those cute divided metal plates, and using a folding TV tray table. My mom would save a few of those plates and sometimes serve left overs in them, her own "TV dinner." Good times!

A Brief History of the TV Dinner | Arts & Culture| Smithsonian Magazine

Esteemed Contributor

@wagirl  is this what you had?  I have one and get a lot of use out of it !

Not just veggies but as someone suggested, potatoes, stuffing, etc. Great for weeknight meals.

s-l300.jpg

Honored Contributor

@Snowpuppy ---YES!!!!!! I sure do miss that dish !!! I may have to buy another ----I used that thing all the time and that style of Corningware is my favorite. I give a complete set as a shower/wedding gift. I used it for gravy and mashed spuds!!