Esteemed Contributor

Re: Did You Register For Sterling Silver and China When you Were Getting Married?

When I was married in the early 70s everyone I knew registered china, crystal and silverware. (a Southern thing?) My china is Springdale by Lennox, Crystal is Noritake in a green that matches the leaves in the china, silverware was a Reed and Barton pattern in silverplate.  I actually did use it a lot when we were younger, particularly when we had Thanksgiving or Christmas at our house.  Along the way we added a full set of Reed and Barton Francis I silverware.  Now it gets used very little, and I doubt that my grown children are interested in the least. 

For myself, I love the Fiesta dinnerware we use every day, along with a set of stainless  by Reed & Barton that we've had for years.  Mr. Shoes occasionally throws a spoon in the garbage by accident, so I'm thankful for Replacements Limited.

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Contributor

Re: Did You Register For Sterling Silver and China When you Were Getting Married?

I'm sad to hear that  china and crystal is not a thing with some of the young people getting married.  It's not selling in the consignment shops either.  

I did register for china and crystal when I got married in '88 and still have it.  The china was Noritake and the crystal was Lennox, can't remember the pattern without going downstairs and digging.   Have since gotten divorced and it's been packed away but I loved it.Oh and Gorham flatware too.To me, it makes good food extra special on nice plates with good flatware when occasional entertaining is a normal thing.   I like that vibe but it's gone now isn't it.

Having said all that I look forward to making Fiestaware my next go to everyday dishes,esp. as they are from Ohio and so am I.  Just love the colors.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

We did not buy silver, china, or crystal when we married so long ago. I had just finished my freshman year in college, and my husband had just graduated.

About 25 years later, we did decide to buy them. We bought very attractive crystal stemware that turned out not to be a bad shape for wine.

But I still love our choice of china and silverware, even though we rarely use them:

Minton china in the now discontinued "Consort" pattern:

Consort by Minton

Reed & Barton sterling silverware in "18th Century" (we bought the serving pieces in the same pattern but in stainless steel)"

Image result for full set of Reed and Barton in sterling silver 18th century

I can't belive the prices now for just one place setting.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Esteemed Contributor

Never registered for anything (got married at forty, already owned my home) but since I had been living overseas I bought a sterling service for twelve plus Rosenthal dishes.  Still have the silverware but have the dishes away twelve years ago.  Life is much easier with stainless and Polish Pottery (for all the time).