Respected Contributor

Re: Did You Register For Sterling Silver and China When you Were Getting Married?

Yes, that's just what one did in the late 1960's.   I sold my china to Replacements in the early 90's.   I just didn't use it enough to keep it.   

I didn't register for crystal but did for sterling silver flatware.   About the time I sold my china I got rid of my everyday flatware and started using my sterling silver everyday.   We still do use it.  I had a service for 8 and several years ago got 4 sets of my mother's.  My niece kept the other 4.   It's not the same pattern but close enough .  I love using it and just toss it in the dishwasher.   About twice a year I polish all of it.

I also registered for a set of white everyday dishes.  I gave them to my best friend in 1995 and then she passed them on to her step daughter.   They are still being used today, 50 years later.

In the mid 80's I started buying Waterford crystal.  When we moved across the country last year I got rid of most of it but kept the red wine glasses, chamgagne flutes and a few other pieces.  We use it all of the time too.   

My theory is use it or get rid of it.   We use it.

Honored Contributor

Re: Did You Register For Sterling Silver and China When you Were Getting Married?

@LilLadyNJ wrote:

A few years ago when I moved I realized that I had various miss-matched hand-me-downs dinnerware that could not have been characterized as a set much less china. I decided right then that I wanted nice dishes, but not the type you have to be careful using so I selected Mikasa Antique White. I haven't had any regrets about this and I use these every day. 

A few years ago I purchased Mikasa Antique White to "stretch" my wedding china (Noritake Elegance in Blue.)  I have 12 place settings of the Noritake, but needed more for a holiday that was to include more people than place settings I had.  They work beautifully together, and I find that I reach for the white more than the pattern these days days when entertaining for smaller parties.  I can get really creative with my table when working with white dishes.  Love them.

Honored Contributor

Mikasa Antique White:

Image result for mikasa antique white

Noritake Elegance in Blue:

Image result for noritake elegance in blue

These are from Google.  Mine are five piece place settings, but you get the idea.

Honored Contributor

@faeriemoon wrote:

Mikasa Antique White:

Image result for mikasa antique white

Noritake Elegance in Blue:

Image result for noritake elegance in blue

These are from Google.  Mine are five piece place settings, but you get the idea.

@faeriemoon This was (is) the white I have always loved. DH can't stand changing from the Pfaltzgraff!  He's addicted to the bowl!!!

Honored Contributor

I got married in 1991.  I only registered for everyday dishes and some Waterford pieces. The Waterford was sold a few years ago, but we still use our dishes, Summer Chintz by Johnson Brothers. Only difference is that we have coffee mugs instead of cups and saucers. 

While I love it, I am tired of it and would love to switch to Correlle. 

0AA659BC-0969-41E7-92A2-1BF5770E3E05.jpeg

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Honored Contributor

@gidgetgh wrote:

I got married in 1991.  I only registered for everyday dishes and some Waterford pieces. The Waterford was sold a few years ago, but we still use our dishes, Summer Chintz by Johnson Brothers. Only difference is that we have coffee mugs instead of cups and saucers. 

While I love it, I am tired of it and would love to switch to Correlle. 

0AA659BC-0969-41E7-92A2-1BF5770E3E05.jpeg

@gidgetgh Oooooooo!!!!  THOSE would be SO very pretty with my primitive antiques!  Love them!

Respected Contributor

yes of course.

my niece,married 5 years ago, decided not to do so feeling she and her intended had enough stuff. . now that she has started a family, is entertaining more, she regrets her decision. of course there are many family heirlooms to pass on - but i'm happily using those lovely things for the time being.  

Honored Contributor

@ms traditional wrote:

yes of course.

my niece,married 5 years ago, decided not to do so feeling she and her intended had enough stuff. . now that she has started a family, is entertaining more, she regrets her decision. of course there are many family heirlooms to pass on - but i'm happily using those lovely things for the time being.  

@ms traditional I know exactly how she felt.  That's when I bout my Franciscian Apple.Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

When DH and I got married in 1990, we did not have a pot to you know what in.  I was finishing up college and he was at his first "real" job.  We were both moving from our parents' homes to our first home so we needed basics. The absolute last thing I needed was fancy dinnerware, glassware, etc.

To this day I have never bought any or wanted any.     

Honored Contributor

No.   I had no interest in ever setting a formal table; still don’t, but we eat off nice plates at family dinners.

Before 1970, Kroger offered a china pattern my maternal grandmother fell in love with, and started buying piece by piece.   Of course the store ended the promotion before my grandmother had acquired a full set.   The dishes were always meant to be mine, so once they came here I found the pattern at Replacements, LTD and bought enough plates to use for family dinners.