Esteemed Contributor

Re: Did You Register For Sterling Silver and China When you Were Getting Married?

Nope. Unfortunately I married the wrong person at the wrong time.

When that ended I was determined to live how I wanted so I set about buying a Lenox pattern along with crystal stemware a piece at a time as I could afford it.

As a child my Gram had such beautiful china, crystal and linens. Much she inherited from her MIL. In setting the table for Sunday dinners it showed appreciation for all she had.

I use my things regularly. I lift a glass of diet gingerale in stemware for making it to where I am.

No disrespect but my collection of china, silver and stemware had nothing to do with marriage at all!! 😉

Respected Contributor

Re: Did You Register For Sterling Silver and China When you Were Getting Married?

@ECBG  I actually shopped at a grocery store where you could earn money toward the purchase of dishes.  It has been thirty three years since I was married and they are still being used today.  We completed our blue and white patterned dishes and have enjoyed the simple pleasure of eating from them, no china here.

Honored Contributor

@Boomernichols wrote:

@ECBG  I actually shopped at a grocery store where you could earn money toward the purchase of dishes.  It has been thirty three years since I was married and they are still being used today.  We completed our blue and white patterned dishes and have enjoyed the simple pleasure of eating from them, no china here.

@BoomernicholsOH!  Gosh!  I remember when they did that!Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

Registry was the THING to do when I  got married. Never really used any of it and I have a full set of China, Silverware and Crystal.  AND MY FOUR DAUGHTERS DON'T WANT ANY OF IT.  WORTHLESS I GUESS.  But how can I complain.... I never used any of it either so it sits and sits for whatever.  No idea what will happen to it.  These were way before the days of gift cards like Amazon.  

Frequent Contributor

I love both the Franciscan Apple and Desert Rose...that being said..back in 1992, when I got married, we had Pfattzgraf, when it was still made in the US,  on our wedding registry.  We did receive a nice lot of dinnerware.  We used it as everyday dinnerware.  Fast forward 20 years, marriage ended in an unexpected divorce.  The sight of the Pfatlzgraf made me sad, so I donated it all to good will.  The lesson learned...just enjoy your life, your family, and serve your beautiful meals on someth8ng nice that appeals to you...but don't consider any longevity with dinnerware.  It really doesn't matter...

Honored Contributor

No....my friends were still in college, at "first" jobs, or in Viet Nam.   No extra $$$ to spend on wedding gifts.

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

Oh yes! I fell for all of that when I got married in 1978! What a waste! I got a complete set of multiple different sizes of glassware. It's beautiful but how would I ever need 30?? I have them packed up in our crawlspace. I do use my dinnerware on rare occasions. I pulled out my flatware years ago and am still using it daily. Thank goodness for that. I wouldn't advise any new bride to register for such nonsense. 

"Pure Michigan"
Respected Contributor

No, we didn't either - got married in 1980.  We registered for Pflascraft (sp?) white ironstone dishes and ss silverware.  We inherited my great aunt's china and my Mom's flatware about 20  years ago.

Trusted Contributor

When I got married we registered for China but not Sterling Silver.

Now I have a 12 place setting of Lenox china sitting in a cabinet because I never use it.  If I had to do it over again I would do it all very different.

Honored Contributor

When I got my first job, my mother said, start your hope chest, which I had no interest of doing.  I was not ready to get married and had other things on my mind.  I did get my set of cookware first.  Then a salesman came to the house selling china and flatware.  He had many patterns to choose from.  I wasn't interested, but my mother convinced me tht this was a good thing to have.  So, I bought a set of china and flatware on a payment plan.  The set of china --- can't remember the pattern --- very conservative --- was Noritake brand.  Flatware --- can't remember.  Any how, that stuff languished in the chest for many, many years!  I have rarely used the china -- it's packed away!  

I think beautiful china and silver and stem ware are lovely, but this was not something that I worried about and still don't.  

I have a beautiful set of stoneware dishes that I use for every day.  That's good enough for me! 

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin