Honored Contributor

Re: Did You Register For Sterling Silver and China When you Were Getting Married?

@okaywitheasypay wrote:

@Suziepeach  That is pretty

@okaywitheasypay thank you so much.  It is pretty, love the weightyness, use it everyday. 

Go VOLS
Rocky Top you'll always be home sweet home to me.. Good ole Rocky Top, Rocky Top Tennessee... Rocky Top Tennessee
Trusted Contributor

Re: Did You Register For Sterling Silver and China When you Were Getting Married?

[ Edited ]

@Mominohio 

That is a beautiful set. Back when QVC sold Royal Doulton I purchased several sets of Old Country Roses (and numerous accessory pieces) at the QVC outlet store. QVC sold sets of 4 place settings. I gave them to my neice and her husband a few years ago. She entertains a lot and LOVES to use this china.

Somewhere in my basement storage I have a set of the blue roses (I forget the name of that pattern). 

Honored Contributor

Late 60's registered for crystal and  China.  Still have them today.  China wasn't used much at all.  I still like the pattern, but no longer entertain.  Did  not register for sterling silver.  Registed for Farberware cookware.  

Honored Contributor

My aunt had that pretty apple pattern.  She NEVER had guests over for dinner.

Super Contributor

Yes, I registered for china and got all 12 - 5 piece place settings + several serving pieces.  Marriage didn't last but I still have the china and use it quite often during the year -- always at holiday times.

I still love the pattern:  Nanking by Noritake -- but discontinued.

Noritake Nanking China Pattern.jpg

Respected Contributor

Forgot to get married, but I did get china (a Japanese blue and white handpainted pattern I love), flatware (a Gorham sterling pattern that was discontinued in the '30s), and English tavern goblets that were sold through the Brooklyn Museum for a while. I'd had some Val St. Lambert glasses in the plain State pattern and loved them, but they were surprisingly fragile, very expensive, and I am a klutz, so I wanted something sturdier. Eclectic, but I love all of it. 

Honored Contributor

i remembered the name of my silveware pattern that i registered for.......oneida gold julliard.

oneida-golden-juilliard-5pc-600x600.jpg

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@ID2 wrote:

Oh yes! I fell for all of that when I got married in 1978! What a waste! I got a complete set of multiple different sizes of glassware. It's beautiful but how would I ever need 30?? I have them packed up in our crawlspace. I do use my dinnerware on rare occasions. I pulled out my flatware years ago and am still using it daily. Thank goodness for that. I wouldn't advise any new bride to register for such nonsense. 

@ID2I totally agree with you about registuring in the case of fine china.  Fine china is SO easily available at many Goodwills, Hospice stores (and the like), and Replacements in Greensboro, NC.

The best choice is to registure for good heavy weight stainless and open stock dishes that can be used daily.

Esteemed Contributor

@ECBG  I have never registered for anything for my home.  My first and only china came from the grocery and I still love it today.  I also have Christmas china, also from the grocery.  Silver was inherited from my cousin, but not a complete set.  My regular dishes are Polish Pottery.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Valued Contributor

A few years ago when I moved I realized that I had various miss-matched hand-me-downs dinnerware that could not have been characterized as a set much less china. I decided right then that I wanted nice dishes, but not the type you have to be careful using so I selected Mikasa Antique White. I haven't had any regrets about this and I use these every day.