Honored Contributor

Re: Did You Register For Sterling Silver and China When you Were Getting Married?

@ECBG wrote:

I didn't.  In 1975, there wasn't enough of a choice.  I didn't like the gold or silver band nor wheat for my self.  The only pattern I ever saw I loved was a purple hycenith pattern I saw as a child.

I didn't need SS without china.

I was drawn to Franciscian Apple and loved the branch handles and the design.  I had been exposed to primitive antiques at this point and was "in love"!

Franciscan Apple Dinnerware Set Franciscan Apple Dishes 62 image 0

@ECBG 

These are just lovely!!

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

Re: Did You Register For Sterling Silver and China When you Were Getting Married?

I did. I still have it all. I am going to sell the ss.

When I lose the TV controller, it's always in some remote destination.
Honored Contributor

No I did not and never had any regrets about not having china, sterling silver or crystal.

No regrets even moreso now when I read about of people wanting to get rid of theirs and there are no takers.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

No, I thought it presumptuous that anyone would want to spend that much on what I considered at the time a frivolous expense.  

My sister in law did.  When I saw her break a $150 platter and $60 bowl, I knew I made the right decision by not wanting expensive china. 

In my 40's, when I finally got the mahogany DR table I wanted, I thought it appropriate to have something more formal to use for my family and guests.  Purchased an Imari pattern, but never used it because I was afraid I'd break some of the pieces.  There they are in my china cabinet never used.  

Honored Contributor

China and crystal, yes.  Sterling silverware, no.

I do use it, but I understand why people no longer want to get involved with it.  

At the time, 1983, people registered for that kind of thing, but not the endless list of common things they register for now.  

Honored Contributor

@AngelPuppy1 Thank youSmiley Happy

They're still available at Replacements. Smiley Happy

Trusted Contributor

Yes, I registered for China. My pattern is Lenox Montclair. I liked the simplicity of the platinum band and that I could match this to any patterned tablecloth. I didn't register for Silver flatware as my Grandmother gifted a set to me as an engagement present. 

Lenox Montclair 5 Piece Place Setting

Contributor

I married in 1971 but did not register for anything. Not sure if I even knew about doing that! I did buy a pattern "Sunnyside" in the Noritake Progression line. That all went by the wayside when I started buying Fiestaware about 25 years ago and still use today. I chose a pattern of Noritake fine china, "Brookhollow," anout 30 years ago for myself and have s/8. I eventually inhetited my Nana's flat silver s/12 in a pattern similar to Kirk-Steiff's "Repoussé," as well as her Lenox "Rose," s/12, both of which were gifts from her husband for their 25th wedding anniversary who passed just before I was born. She entertained a lot and we spent many wonderful holidays at her home. I loved sitting up to her beautifully set "fancy" table. She also used the Francsiscan "Desert Rose" every day. My Mom had the Fransciscan "Apple" dishes. None of either of those two sets exist that I know of. Not sure what will happen to all of these beautiful and sentimental pieces after I'm gone, but I still love using all of them.
Occasional Contributor

Those are my dishes too! The only pieces I dont use now are the coffee cups. Everyone wants to drink out of mugs!

Respected Contributor

@Christie BSame here .(including 1971 -- still waiting to see if it is going to last as a few said they doubted it ! Smiley Happy  

I was married at jp's for $20. My sister made a beautiful cake and threw a shower previously and had a great time. I did purchase a lovely china set incrementally at a grocery that offered it just to be appropriate for the times.

I had a complete set including a gravy boat ( never found a 'gravy' river to sail it on Smiley Wink ) I never wanted real silver after seeing my grandmother polish her's for special dinners. I thought ss was a wonderful invention. 

I kept the set for a long time and used it for special occasions. I gladly donated it once microwaves came along as it had a metal decoration on it . I felt a bit of sentiment but welcomed the storage space . I love Corelle = lightweight , dw safe , & rarely breaks.