Esteemed Contributor

Re: Did You Have A Cafeteria Where You Grew Up?

Kansas City had a few 'famous' cafeterias. Families would dress up to go there. I'm picturing large and small plates all over tables. In college, when parents showed up, they'd treat us to Picadilly's at the mall.   

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Honored Contributor

I remember the place where Rt4 and 208 met, it was called Jahn's!  Yes, it had some great ice cream dishes.  When the place closed I was so sad!  Woolworth's , always a favorite to shop, browse and have a bite to eat at the counter. 

Do you remember the Old Barn at Wayne where you would get a huge ice cream cone?  So many people went there and on hot days it was always crowded.  They also had food and I ate there many times.  One of the best, ahh, memories!  One thing  that we had was all types of food to choose from and still do.  

Honored Contributor

Riley1 

My second post was in response to yours, sorry I didn't indicate that.

Trusted Contributor

Yes, The Goodie Shoppe in Terre Haute IN, just west of Indianapolis. My grandparents lived there, and I spent summers there growing up. Ate at that cafeteria after church on Sunday mornings. 

Esteemed Contributor

We had several in the area when I was growing up.  The only one left that is fairly close is MCL.  I took my mom there for Mother's Day as that's where she wanted to go.  Personally, I think they're extremely expensive for the quality.  I just got a Cobb Salad. 

There is a pretty famous one in a suburb of Indianapolis called Gray Bothers.  I was there once but wasn't impressed. 

I'm just not a fan of these types of places and even felt that way as a kid.  

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown
Respected Contributor

We had a Home Dairy downtown. My mom and I ate there many times--I loved it! Those were the days all right.

Super Contributor

@cactusgal   I grew up in West Covina. Special memories from going to Clifton's as a child. Mom treated me to a birthday lunch there with some friends. I was in 5th grade and made sure to invite my future husband.  Although our marriage did not happen until 40+ years later!

Trusted Contributor

this was fun reading through!

We didn't have cafeterias, but my mom and I would eat at the cafeteria in our Kmart.  Such good memories,  we'd share a cheeseburger platter with fries and get rice pudding for dessert.  It was the best baked rice pudding.

Trusted Contributor

Yes!  I have fond memories of eating in cafeterias.

In Berkeley, there was the Blue and Gold, which was

named for Cal's colors.  I loved the short ribs and

swiss chard, and there was always a dessert of some

kind of pie.

In San Francisco, there was a Foster's cafeteria chain.

Their olallieberry pie there was delicious.

And then the Compton's cafeteria in Walnut Creek was

where we stopped after a shopping trip at the Emporium 

which later became a Macy's.  

Old fashioned custard was my favorite.

My husband still talks about the cafeterias he remembers 

growing up.  

We both loved the cafeteria food!

Respected Contributor

Is a restaurant cafeteria like a school or hospital cafeteria?