Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Re: Did I ruin the chocolate

@Kachina624   I did read it.and will refer back to it once I am done with candy dipping...sigh.  I ran to the grocery and picked up more ingredients so I could salvage my day off.

Respected Contributor

I use my heating pad to keep my chocolate warm while I make candy.
Trusted Contributor

@Mom2Dogs @I know nothing about how to fix your chocolate problem, but did want to commiserate with you.

Hope the rest of your day goes better and you can salvage the chocolate.  

Honored Contributor

@Pezzie   Thank you.  I woke up early this morning, I could not sleep (4 am!)

I had big plans for the day, and honestly I accomplished most/not all of what I wanted to do....dip the buckeyes, stir up and freeze two different cookie recipes....clean up inbetween and then my husband came home from work --EARLY!

Maybe it's just me, but I like my alone time (yes it is his house as well) and he is older 81... I am younger...I say this because when he gets home from our business, he sits the rest of the day, unless I ask him to do something for me, which he will do.

It's just that I am less productive when someone is in the house.

My next day off work is Thursday....I will have a list of what I need to get done.

I have always wondered what other men, that are older do when they either don't work (retired) or are home a lot.

Trusted Contributor

@Mom2Dogs  omg, must be the air! I too was awake at 4 ! 
I had a good day, but not quite as productive as yours.

Whatever you got accomplished today take it as a win. 
Thursday you will be Wonder Woman! I am sure of it.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Mom2Dogs 

You were wondering what older men do when they are retired. My husband is 83 and is nine years older than I am.

He likes to take care of the property doing gardening and

lawn care. This fall he raked up over 100 large bags of leaves.

There is a wild turkey who follows him around the yard and likes

to hang out with him while he's working.

He likes to be out in the snow and does the snow blowing.

In the house, he reads or watches TV. (mostly sports)

When he was younger, he played golf, but with back problems, he had to stop.

Regular Contributor

@Mom2Dogs wrote:

I am dipping buckeyes in choclate this morning.  I have always used a double boiler but last year I helped a friend with her candy, she uses the microwave to melt her chocolate.

I tried that this year and it was working really well until my last  tray of buckeyes.  I put the chocolate in the microwave to rewarm and I must have over heated it...it is now THICK, there is no way anything will dip into that chocolate!

Is there any way possible to 'fix' this?  I really hate to throw away all that chocolate.

If not fixable to use for buckeyes, I am wondering if I could incorporate the chocolate into another ingredient and use it as a frosting?  If so how would I do that?

..and things were going we well.....

@Mom2Dogs Or take a hammer to it and bust it up and eat it. Sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do!  Woman Tongue

Honored Contributor

@Enufstuff Thanks for that reply.  It sounds like your husband is an outside kind of guy, that's great.

My husband will do those necessary things, with no nudge from me....but once we are stranded in the house for the winter, all is lost.  He sits for most of the day.  

Like your husband when he was younger, he bowled, was in a remote airplane flying group, played the guitar with friends (yesterday we attended the funeral of one of his last remaining friends).

Like I said if I want him to help me with something he is always willing, I just wish he had friends to call to meet for coffee in the mornings, but he has never been that kind of guy.

I think being self employed all our married lives has limited us in the friend department...we worked (well mostly him) long days for years to get the business off the ground and fast forward to now, the business is not as busy as it was and the hobbies have gone by the wayside.  And friends well, he is outliving them, which is a good thing but...for me I need my girl friends 

Honored Contributor

@Mom2Dogs 

DH is 68 to turn 69 January 2.

He is retiring, I am not.  He isn't a people person, I am, although, the people in his doctor's offices always loved him.  I will alwways work!   I love colors and dress ladies from 5 states.

Honored Contributor

@Mom2Dogs 

I work a lot with chocolate.  Once chocolate is burned, it's done.