Esteemed Contributor

cut up raw chicken and not wash or even attempt to wipe her hands off...and began touching other products....dear God...how gross and unsanitary....

Honored Contributor

I don't know, but I never see Tara actually start a recipe. Usually she brings an item out from the fridge or oven that is ready to serve.

Trusted Contributor

Altho I now wash my hands after handling meat, you know, my mama & my grandma didn't do it all the time - usually just if their hands were particularly messy. And they lived to tell the tale & procreate my family (including me!)! Just sayin'!

Esteemed Contributor

Days...she was demonstrating her knife set and how sharp they are....just a few minutes ago...

KathyFan....my mom was a fanatic about washing her hands when touching raw meat...way back then...(I am 71)....and I am equally fanatical about keeping my hands clean...No, I am not OCD...haha....just hate the thought of having any kind of meat stuff on them and then go onto something else....

Respected Contributor

True, she should have been washing her hands after handling the raw chicken, but then everything she chopped up got tossed in the trash anyway, didn't it?

Respected Contributor
On 2/5/2014 KathyLFan said:

Altho I now wash my hands after handling meat, you know, my mama & my grandma didn't do it all the time - usually just if their hands were particularly messy. And they lived to tell the tale & procreate my family (including me!)! Just sayin'!

What happening in the meat/poultry industry is a lot different than grandma's time, didn't have to think about keeping the family safe from food poisoning.

Heck, my grandparents were butchers and they never wore gloves handling anything but then the only thing people were watching then was making sure the pork was cooked.

Super Contributor

I'm sure she'll never do it again!

Respected Contributor
On 2/5/2014 VCamp2748 said:

True, she should have been washing her hands after handling the raw chicken, but then everything she chopped up got tossed in the trash anyway, didn't it?

Yes, it's not like she's cooking for others and no one is really eating the food.

Honored Contributor

It's not that. It's that raw meat has bacteria that you can cross into other foods while preparing a meal.

Respected Contributor

Well, she is probably under a time constraint, and she is demonstrating cook ware, not kitchen hygiene practices.

I'd cut her a break on this one.

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York