Occasional Contributor

Re: Desserts? How many? Let me count...Un, deux, trois

We'll be having 12 guests for dinner this year. One of our daughters always brings 2 Cherry Cheese Pies & I usually make a Turtle Pumpkin Pie. Every year I try to include a new recipe, so I've found one for a Pecan Pie Trifle...hope it's good!

Respected Contributor

On 11/11/2014 Yahooey said:

Housecat - for you. My first dessert in my first tart pan. I always thought a tart pan was fancy. I only did this for the first time either last year or early this year. I bought the pan because I saw the episode on the apple tart.

photo image_zpsdb4f43a3.jpeg

Looks so good. I'd like a slice, please!

Honored Contributor

On 11/11/2014 jaxs mom said:
On 11/11/2014 chickenbutt said:

I only make one. One is plenty for us.

I think we are the oddity, however, as I notice more people here make a massive amount of courses and several desserts. I make four courses plus the one dessert, which is whatever the husband chooses.

I don't even do four courses, although technically it seems you're doing five with dessert. We just have our main course and dessert. No apps, I don't do salad a separate course but then we never have salad on Thanksgiving anyway. When I was a kid we always had appetizers but we also had the grandparents, aunts, uncles, all the cousins.

Wow, that's pretty cool! I wouldn't mind it being less work because it's getting more and more difficult for me. But I couldn't cut back any more than that. I make the turkey, mashed potatoes, dressing, and a veg dish (usually something sautéed with green beans). That's about as far as I can whittle it down. I spread the work out over 3 days now, though, so it's not bad at all. Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

On 11/11/2014 Sooner said:

My mom's rule was 6 people 6 to 8 desserts like pies or cakes. No, I am not kidding. Sometimes when we'd have about 15 people, she'd cut down to maybe 10 desserts.

Was she sending most of that bounty home with the guests? That is a lot of desserts and I say this as an avid baker lol.

My mom did that too, she always had tons of desserts because every guest went home with a plate of food and several desserts. I do the same thing; everyone goes home with at least two plastic containers for food and desserts.

Honored Contributor

about 15 people......i am making a pumpkin pie and a pecan torte (it is so delicious and a bit lighter than a traditional pecan pie). i will also buy a fresh apple pie from a local farm and have turkey and acorn sugar cookies with brown/orange/yellow coarse sugar on top. schwans vanilla ice cream for anyone who needs to top off their pie OR if someone just wants ice cream. Wink......oh, and fresh whipped cream!

i also always have either a fruit bowl or a fruit platter.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

Does anyone remember "Millionare Pies" made with a graham cracker crust, cool whip, sweetened condensed milk, fruit, and nuts? I could eat a whole one!

Honored Contributor

We always end with chestnuts we actually DO roast on a open fireplace fire!

Frequent Contributor

I had made a pumpkin pie from the pie pumpkins we had grown for my son's bd in Oct so now I am going to make David's apple cheesecake recipe for Thanksgiving. The day after-let the Christmas cookie baking beginning!

Re

Honored Contributor

On 11/11/2014 Sooner said:

My mom's rule was 6 people 6 to 8 desserts like pies or cakes. No, I am not kidding. Sometimes when we'd have about 15 people, she'd cut down to maybe 10 desserts.

Was she sending most of that bounty home with the guests? That is a lot of desserts and I say this as an avid baker lol.

No, they came back and ate it after they ate the turkey sandwiches that night, and basically a replay of the meal the next day with the leftovers.

They ate it while they sat and talked and laughed, we ate it that night when we were sitting around in our pajamas, and I ate the cream cheese and cherry pie again about 2 a.m.

Honored Contributor

On 11/11/2014 terrier3 said:

We always end with chestnuts we actually DO roast on a open fireplace fire!

I always have a hard time removing the darn shells. And when I'm done, I get chestnut crumbs : (