Valued Contributor

Debbie Meyer Green Bag/Boxes Help, Please

I just received her green bags, and I was wondering if you are supposed to let the fruit ripen before storing them? I suppose if the bags stop the aging process, then say, green bananas would just stay green? There was no instructions about this either in her presentation or in the product insert. I bought a half dozen underripe peaches on sale, so maybe take one out of the green bag a day before I want to eat it to ripen up?

Trusted Contributor

Re: Debbie Meyer Green Bag/Boxes Help, Please

http://www.squawkfox.com/green-bags/

This doesn't answer your question, but I thought it was an interesting article.

Valued Contributor

For bananas, which is why I use the green bags, I just pop them in the bag the day I bring them home from the store. It SLOWS the ripening of bananas for us...by a lot! The bags are reusable, if washed out, but I'm not sure of the other brands that we buy in stores - Zip-Lock, etc?

Trusted Contributor

Just don't wash your fruit before putting them in the green bags.

Honored Contributor

I use them for bananas, mostly out of habit.  I haven't noticed a significant delay in the ripening process however.

Esteemed Contributor

I use these all the time. Yes, you let the fruit ripen first and then put them in the bag. Don't wash the produce until you remove it from the bag. I will put a piece of paper towel at the bottom of the bag for things like berries, etc. that have extra moisture in them. They can use them over and over again--just rinse them out with cold water and let them dry.