Honored Contributor

Re: Debbie Meyer Food Storage Boxes...made in the USA

I would try the bread boxes since I also make my own bread.  Would like the boxes in a color I like though.  Didn't see those available.  LnL has worked pretty well for me.

Honored Contributor

I also use L&L for bread.  It takes me quite a while to get through a loaf of bread and it stays fresh for at least 17 days.   I'm super picky about fresh, too, so that's no exaggeration.  Smiley Happy

I've seen all kinds of reviews on these DM products (boxes & bags) and I didn't find any reason to buy them, but that's just me and that's ok.   Aside from using L&L and vacuum-sealing, I use those E.G.G. things and have for many years.  They are awesome for produce freshness.

They used to sell them on QVC as one of Lori G's 'inventions' (not!), but I got mine, and I get my refills, from the actual person.     All you need to do is replace the little packets  every 3 months so I put one of their labels on one of my refrigerator drawers with a date so I know when to switche them out.

I think DM's boxes and bags work on the same principle but I wonder if they wear out, like the packets do.  Even if not, I believe that L&L is a far superior product.

Honored Contributor

I have and use both the bags and the heavier boxes and can sing their praises!! both work great for me. also got the lightweigth boxes and threw those away--too hard to open the lids and felt flimsy.

Esteemed Contributor

I gave  mine away as gifts.  Often in going to events we had to take along food to share.  What I did was not only leave the food but the containers.  

Respected Contributor

At first I was wishing the bread boxes sold individually but when I read reviews on how well they kept bananas ,which we have on hand all the time, I see a use for both bananas and baked goods.  I read through several pages of HSN reviews before reading the recommendation to not remove store bought bread from the bag, just put all of it in the bread box, bag open "to let the box do it's job"..  Good to know. 

Honored Contributor

@chickenbutt wrote:

I also use L&L for bread.  It takes me quite a while to get through a loaf of bread and it stays fresh for at least 17 days.   I'm super picky about fresh, too, so that's no exaggeration.  Smiley Happy

Hi @chickenbutt Thank you for this idea!  We are alwyas buying bread, then tossing it, then buying new, then tossing it.  Tried to freeze half (doesn't taste great to me).  I can't believe I didn't think of storing it in L&L - thank you.  Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@Mj12 wrote:

@chickenbutt wrote:

Hi @chickenbutt Thank you for this idea!  We are alwyas buying bread, then tossing it, then buying new, then tossing it.  Tried to freeze half (doesn't taste great to me).  I can't believe I didn't think of storing it in L&L - thank you.  Smiley Happy

Hi MJ!  Smiley Happy       I'm really food-picky and neurotic so I used to have to toss bread after a couple of days.  I think some of that was because of being forced to eat moldy bread as a child.

As a consequence of that, I became very weird about food freshness.   Imagine my glee to see that I could keep it fresh for so long, particularly because I truly hate waste.

I just keep it in a lower cabinet in a cool spot of my kitchen and it stays pristine so nicely.   I wouldn't put it on the counter, near the window or stove, etc, as that would likely have a negative effect.  But keeping it in a cool-ish spot works perfectly.

I'm not one for refrigerating or freezing bread because it makes it taste not so good.   I'm wincing at the thought of that right now.  

Hope this finds you happy and well.   I always love seeing you!