Honored Contributor

Dean Foods declares Chapter 11 bankruptcy

We have many dairy brands locally with this name on it.  Supposedly the reason is milk consumption is down 50% since 1970.  Not in our house, it isn't.  You would think they could have compensated somewhere in the past 50 years.  

Trusted Contributor

Re: Dean Foods declares Chapter 11 bankruptcy

I actually work for a company that does business with them. They’re restructuring and have a buyer. They should hopefully have no interruptions in business and come out just fine.
Honored Contributor

I'd heard of Dean's but didn't know they were so big and had so many brands, including Land 'O  Lakes and Friendly's Ice Cream.  I got a good deal on Friendly's yesterday - two "half gallons" for $3.00.  As for Land 'O Lakes, why is butter so expensive?  It's no wonder people are moving to dairy alternatives.

Honored Contributor

I see their prepared refrigerated dips in Walmart. 

Trusted Contributor

I am a milk manaic - my personal consumption alone should be able to keep them in business.  When I buy milk at the store people always ask me how many kids/grandkids I have living at my house to need all that milk.  It it all for me...but it is my secret. 

Snarky responders need not reply. Move along and share your views elsewhere.
Esteemed Contributor

I like their products (sour cream & dips).  I hope they are able to get everything squared away with the new buyer.

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown
Respected Contributor

Wow...in my younger days I use to vendor stock for the company and the product was Land O'Lakes. I have used the product for so many years and recently started looking for alternatives due to the rising cost of the butter. I hope whomever purchases/acquired the company will continue to offer a quality product without further increasing the prices.

QVC Customer Care

Trusted Contributor

We know many people in our area who work for Dean's so I hope that even with a sale and restructuring that people do not lose their jobs.

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read."
Groucho Marx
Esteemed Contributor

Boy I never dreamed of all the changes in this world. Who would of thought milk companies would go bankrupt? Well all the new beverages have taken over like internet has closed a lot of brick and mortar. I remember milk delivery! We never thought we would have these big mega supermarkets. ❤️ 🐄 🥛