Respected Contributor

David looks terrific. He's moving around better. Itself obvious to me he feels good about himself. 

KUDOS TO DAVID

Honored Contributor

@depglass wrote:

Does anyone know more about David's diet?  I know it's low carb, low sugar, but perhaps he has put more info on his coffee talk group?  I do not do facebook groups.  I was thinking just last winter that he was risking his health with the weight he was carrying.  And, wow, within a matter of months he has pared down.  I'd love to do the same thing.

@depglass I watched his "coffee talk" a number of weeks ago when he discussed his weight loss. He referred to his diet as "keto light".  To me, that mean low carb. He's also doing some form of intermittent fasting, being conscious of the times of day he's eating, not eating late at night etc.

I can tell you, it sounds hard and limiting when first contemplating it, but I can assure you  once you get into it, if you're serious about it, you can do it and your body will respond favorably as long as you don't cheat. You have to pick your lane and stay there.  I'm sure you have read about my significant loss.  I honestly can't believe how easy it's been and how results started coming quickly. We acknowledged that we would have to learn new recipes and learn how to make substitutions and swaps, but it's paid off in spades. Three years later, I'm happy, healthy, eating better than ever, and not going back to my old way of eating. 

You can do it!

Respected Contributor

David looks terrific.  Nice to see him trimmed down.  I think it was over several months but seeing him weekly, we always don’t notice when you see someone often.  I notice now tucking shirts in more, he looks amazing.  

I've heard him several times mention low carb and low sugar.  

@JeanLouiseFinch   I know you lost a great deal of weight on a great Keto plan.  Congrats to you as well.  You inspire me.  

I’m still too heavy, but moderation is key for me.  Do I eat perfectly, no, but have made several simple, moderate changes that I have stuck by.  Just get in a rut, and really haven’t put the weight back on, but more of, not continuing to lose.

Honored Contributor

Re: David's Diet?

[ Edited ]

Yes, JeanLouise, I know you have done more than well on this diet.  But I caught you after you had slimmed down.  Can you recommend any reference material?  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@depglass wrote:

Yes, JeaneLouise, I know you have done more than well on this diet.  But I caught you after you had slimmed down.  Can you recommend any reference material?  

@depglass  I didn't read any specific books, but spent a lot of time researching on the internet.  One documentary that had a significant impact is called The Magic Pill.  It really made me want to change my ways and get off unhealthy processed foods.  Eliminate grains, starchy veggies, sugar.  Be a diligent label reader.  There are many, many names for sugar and they are in nearly all processed foods.  I do make allowances for certain things now (salami, Two Good Yogurt, for instance), on a limited basis, when the rest of the ingredients are more or less decent, but that came with learning about ingredients and limiting my consumption.  I didn't start doing that until I was well into the lifestyle and had an understanding of how to adjust once in awhile without hurting my progress.  Depending on how serious you are, you can find calculators online like Keto Diet Buddy where you plug in your own numbers and desired deficit (go with 30%). The calculator will tell you how many net carbs, protein, and fat macros to consume daily.  You don't want to overeat protein because too much will demand more insulin and slow down your fat burning.  Concentrate on getting your carbs from veggies and a few berries. Most fruits have too much sugar.  The goal is to keep insulin low and consistent.  Every time you eat your body demands insulin, so try to eat only twice daily, if you can, and preferably no snacking.  Including intermittent fasting ramps up the results.  Be sure to take a good electrolytes drink and appropriate supplements. 

if you have any questions, I'm available. 

Super Contributor

I was previously evicerated for saying David needed to lose weight, but he did and now he looks awesome.  Low carbs/no sugar/no processed food is key and it works if you are dedicated to it.  You can eat very well without processed food and sweets and there are so many apps to create macros and make it easy to follow, hopefully for a lifetime.

Trusted Contributor

David talks quite candidly about his weight loss on Coffee talk.  His doctor had a talk with him on February 3.  As of today he has lost like 65 pounds.  He has said many times no surgery.  No reason to doubt him.  He says low carbs, low sugar, portion control.  He also does not eat late at night and He also doesn't drink as much any more as that will keep  the weight on you.

He goes to the gym several times a week and he gets on the treadmill.  He also stresses to everyone to do any kind of a weight loss program in coordination with your doctor.  He is emphatic about this works for him that does not mean it is going to work for everyone.

I think he looks terrific.

Honored Contributor

@Jaspertimes wrote:

I was previously evicerated for saying David needed to lose weight, but he did and now he looks awesome.  Low carbs/no sugar/no processed food is key and it works if you are dedicated to it.  You can eat very well without processed food and sweets and there are so many apps to create macros and make it easy to follow, hopefully for a lifetime.

I was attacked, as well.  I expressed concern for him, as well as for one of my brothers who was also gaining weight rapidly.  

A poster actually said she felt bad for my brother, since he had me for a sister!

That poster is now posting on another thread on this board, about people making mean comments on this board, as if she never said anything rude.  

To follow up...my brother has also since lost a nice amount of weight, looks better and feels better. 

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@depglass wrote:

Does anyone know more about David's diet?  I know it's low carb, low sugar, but perhaps he has put more info on his coffee talk group?  I do not do facebook groups.  I was thinking just last winter that he was risking his health with the weight he was carrying.  And, wow, within a matter of months he has pared down.  I'd love to do the same thing.

It's NOT rocket science to lose weight. Eat healthy - fresh vegetables, low carb, low fat, no sugar, no processed food, and exercise every day.

Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@depglass, I have also gone through the past year and a half following the Dirty, Lazy, Keto program. Youb can check out the books and cookbooks online. Stephanie Laska is the author. It REALLY is easy, bcause the weight just falls off, which is incredibly motivating. I have lost 40 pounds, but I thought I only had 20 to lose! Apparently not.

This is probably similar to what David is doing. It is not as strict as full on Atkins or keto, but makes sense. For example, Most diet beverages are not keto-approved because of the sweetners used, but if it doesn't impact your blood sugar, if you are diabetic, use what works. Things like that. I don't know if regular keto counts carbs or net carbs, but DLK counts net carbs and there are some really good recipes (Pinterest is your best friend, although you can spend hours there). There is no need to buy all the keto branded products, although I do. In the beginning, I bought every ingredient that was called for in every recipe and my house looks like a warehouse of stuff.

Eventually, you find the products you like and just go with those. Someimes, it is worth it to buy ready-made for frozen keto foods just to have them if you don't feel like cooking.

So, I recommend checking out Dirty, Lazy Keto. She has lots of helpful videos and articles and podcasts to watch. Her cookbooks are very easy to follow. I will admit, I make a LOT of desserts!