Honored Contributor

Re: David and Brussel Sprouts

I too, said initially that David's remark was amusing.  I still maintain it is, but I can add a "but" to my statement and say I wouldn't take dietary advice from him!  

it doesn't mean I'm a bad person (the word sin was actually used) or that anyone has to feel sorry for my relatives.😳

Honored Contributor

I just have one thing to say to people who hate America and its people:  Delta is ready when you are.

Respected Contributor

What? I didn’t know Brussels Sprouts were American. I though they were from Belgium.
Esteemed Contributor

@Nonametoday wrote:

@SurferWife wrote:

@Nonametoday wrote:

@SurferWife wrote:

I hated Brussels sprouts as a child, but after having roasted Brussels sprouts as an adult, I could eat those little suckers all day!

@SurferWife 

I made hamburger steaks, roasted Brussell sprouts, broccoli, carrots, sweet potatoes and Irish potatoes for lunch today.  Soooo goood.  Now the fat police are going to come after me for having hamburger steaks.  Yikes.  Gotta run.  Those fat haters are teaming up against me.

@Nonametoday 

MMMMMMMM...hamburger steak, especially with gravy, is "last meal on earth" worthy!

Funny story...my husband (does all the cooking) makes hamburger steak the 1st day of every month because our little dog Toby will not take his 1x month flea, heart worm pill unless we disguise it, so you know who gets hamburger steak the 1st day of every month...only a little bitty bit of gravy, though!  He never knows is pill has been crushed up & mixed inside.  We tried everything to get him to take it & the first time we tried hamburger steak, we stopped trying with anything else.

@SurferWife 

We rolled up our dogs' in a slice of sharp cheese.  It fooled everyone we ever owned.  I understand disguising meds.  I have a time with my cat.  She does not like fish and seafood.  I try with chicken but I think she is smarter than my dogs.  Such a diva.  We have learned to hold her and open her jaws and slip it in.

Esteemed Contributor

@eddyandme wrote:

@Nonametoday wrote:

@SurferWife wrote:

@Nonametoday wrote:

@SurferWife wrote:

I hated Brussels sprouts as a child, but after having roasted Brussels sprouts as an adult, I could eat those little suckers all day!

@SurferWife 

I made hamburger steaks, roasted Brussell sprouts, broccoli, carrots, sweet potatoes and Irish potatoes for lunch today.  Soooo goood.  Now the fat police are going to come after me for having hamburger steaks.  Yikes.  Gotta run.  Those fat haters are teaming up against me.

@Nonametoday 

MMMMMMMM...hamburger steak, especially with gravy, is "last meal on earth" worthy!

Funny story...my husband (does all the cooking) makes hamburger steak the 1st day of every month because our little dog Toby will not take his 1x month flea, heart worm pill unless we disguise it, so you know who gets hamburger steak the 1st day of every month...only a little bitty bit of gravy, though!  He never knows is pill has been crushed up & mixed inside.  We tried everything to get him to take it & the first time we tried hamburger steak, we stopped trying with anything else.

@SurferWife 

We rolled up our dogs' in a slice of sharp cheese.  It fooled everyone we ever owned.  I understand disguising meds.  I have a time with my cat.  She does not like fish and seafood.  I try with chicken but I think she is smarter than my dogs.  Such a diva.  We have learned to hold her and open her jaws and slip it in.

Ladies, I'm not a 'Suzy Homemaker' but I'm a pro at hiding a furbaby's meds.  My latest ploy is breaking apart the baked fishsticks.  I then break my boy's glucosomine chewy into pieces and sticking them into bites of the fishsticks, which I cover with a dab of homeade sauce and mashed potatoes.  Works like a charm if anyone wants to try!Woman LOL

Now, can anyone tell me how you make a hamburger steak?  I always looking for recipes.  TIA!

Honored Contributor

@eddyandme My recipe for hamburger steak is as follows:

1 lb ground beef

1 egg

1/4 cup panko

1/8 tsp pepper

1/2 tsp salt

1/2 tsp onion powder

1/2 tsp garlic powder

1 tsp Worcestershire sauce

Honored Contributor

Growing up, I never liked them either (mom used frozen and the were soggy) so I never made them as an adult.  When we chose keto our keto lifestyle, I tried them again (the au gratin casserole) and I flipped over it.  Brussels sprouts are part of the cruciferous family and super healthy. These days I eat them several times a week - roasted, pan sautéed, steamed. I always use fresh.  Love ‘em!  

Honored Contributor

@september wrote:

I am a parent, and my children and grandchildren are all slim, fit and healthy.  I'd like to think I had something to do with that, and I'm happy about it.

I do agree that the host's weight is his business, but if he makes derogatory remarks about healthy foods and encourages viewers to eat cheese, bacon, and other fatty unhealthy foods, there are going to be comments from those who disagree.  

Disagree is one thing.  To not allow others an opinion about food, and think that they should be shamed for not liking a food, or for not telling others how to eat is thought police.  

We are not all think alike, we do not talk alike healthy food and to say we can't express that is nonsense.  People have a right to make a choice about what they eat;  whether others like it or not. 

Esteemed Contributor

Thanks @deepwaterdotter .  Your recipe sounds good - gonna try it this week!  I always keep hamburger in the freezer.

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

@september wrote:

@mom2four0418 @I don't know this host personally. Neither do you.   I think he seems like a nice guy during his presentations.  

what I "know" is that he's a big guy.   I also know what he looked like in his earlier years at QVC. The camera doesn't lie.  

Many of the longtime hosts don't look like what they did in earlier years. (Not saying that in a negative way because many look good, but who looks the same 25-30 yrs later?).