Honored Contributor

Re: David Venable's first cookbook

On 10/19/2014 Perkup said:

I saw the first book at a book sale recently and thumbed through. I don't think I've ever seen a cookbook before with so many photos of the "writer" where there should have been pix of the food. For that reason alone, I would not buy either book.

And so I have a question - does anyone know of another cookbook which incorporates so many photos of the "writer" where photos of the food could (and should) have been shown? The only possible exception I can think of is would be those of Paula Deen, but I don't have any to check out. I've looked through the books I have and none of them have (or need) photos of the "cook".

I bought a couple of issues of Paula Deen's magazine when it first came out and it was just creepy because there were so many pictures of her. It made me feel like a stalker! LOL!!!

Honored Contributor

I think the only way I would consider buying DV's cookbooks would be if I got them for under $4 in the Kindle format.

Regular Contributor

I very much enjoyed Davids first cookbook but I am sorry I got the second one. Not anything in it that interests me. This will sit now with other ones I barely use. The internet and pineterest is the way to go for recipes!!!

Arley

Respected Contributor

I saw it on the bargan book shelf at B & N last spring.

What worries you masters you.
Honored Contributor

On 10/19/2014 Arley said:

I very much enjoyed Davids first cookbook but I am sorry I got the second one. Not anything in it that interests me. This will sit now with other ones I barely use. The internet and pineterest is the way to go for recipes!!!

Arley

What is different about the two?

Valued Contributor

Sooner - you can always return it to QVC if you purchased within 30 days and then it would not take up space on your shelf.

Every perfect gift is from above.
Honored Contributor

They have it on Groupon for $9.99.

Valued Contributor

On 10/19/2014 Perkup said:

I saw the first book at a book sale recently and thumbed through. I don't think I've ever seen a cookbook before with so many photos of the "writer" where there should have been pix of the food. For that reason alone, I would not buy either book.

And so I have a question - does anyone know of another cookbook which incorporates so many photos of the "writer" where photos of the food could (and should) have been shown? The only possible exception I can think of is would be those of Paula Deen, but I don't have any to check out. I've looked through the books I have and none of them have (or need) photos of the "cook".

Yes, it's the latest cook book of Giada, it was nothing but pictures of her and her child doing crafts and such. A total disappointment. Sent it right back. I want to see the food.

Honored Contributor

On 10/19/2014 firstsoprano said:

Sooner - you can always return it to QVC if you purchased within 30 days and then it would not take up space on your shelf.

LOL!!! Well that is true. I had NOT thought of that!!!!! LOL!!!

Regular Contributor

Rocco DeSpirito's "Now Eat This Italian" (which is actually a pretty good book) is a monster hardcover with something like fewer that 200 recipes, so you can imagine its more like a DeSpirito family photo album. They do have lots of photos of the food too.

Speaking of prices on David's first book, which you would expect to be low with the second one now coming out, I picked up a copy of #1 as a $2 add-on through my book club.

I'd like to know if they did anything about that almost invisible grey lettering that was in #1. Thanks!