Honored Contributor

Re: Danger of Raw Cookie Dough

Hey @Citrine1 is there anything better then choc chip dough !

butter, sugar, brown sugar,  choc chips and nuts and vanilla and of course eggs LOL

20171805530.gif

Honored Contributor

You can also get a food borne illness from eating in a restaurant, but I don't see anybody telling us we need to stop doing that.  In fact, the only food borne illness I have ever gotten has been from Red Lobster.

Honored Contributor

my husband, too.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Icegoddess 

Last night, I was mixing up a batch of Red Lobster Cheddar Bay Biscuit mix and noticed a warning on the box :

DO NOT EAT RAW DOUGH

(not that I would do that anyway)

Honored Contributor

@novamc1 , that is not a generic comment, but specific to the product.  I wouldn't expect raw Cheddar Bay dough to be near as yummy as raw cookie dough or raw brownie batter.  That being said, I have also eaten raw biscuit dough.  Hey, I have even been known to eat a specific type of clover in my yard and even dirt.  

I'm almost certain the Red Lobster product that made me sick was not the bisucuits, but their shrimp salad dressing which had probably been sitting around too long.  I thought it tasted a little off.  

Honored Contributor

I got e coli about 12 years ago from bean sprouts.  I was alone in the middle of the night in a new house a mile off the road in the woods.  DH was working four hours away and he turns his cell phone off at night.  I almost called an ambulance except I knew I would have trouble giving them directions.  My answer was to call the emergency room of local hospital.  They told me to drink V8 because it has potassium.  Blood pressure was very low.  The upshot of this story is I adhere to all food poisoning warnings.

Respected Contributor

With all the flour recalls that have been issued in recent times, it wouldn't be surprising if all boxes of any type of mix containing flour would post this warning about consuming raw dough.

Honored Contributor

I wouldn't be surprised either.  I would expect those rolls of slice and bake cookies also have that warning.  Doesn't mean I would heed it if I bought them.  

Honored Contributor

Today on the Hoda & Jenna (Andy Cohen) show they had a segment with a lady who has a bakery and is also an author and the segment was about safe cookie dough.  She said to use pasturized eggs and heat the flour to 165 deg F.  The name of her book is Hello, Cookie Dough.  She also gave some tips for common cookie cooking issues like spreading too much or not enough, uneven baking, etc.

Valued Contributor

I keep my flour in the freezer.  I wonder if that makes it any safer?