Respected Contributor

Re: DO YOU OR HAVE YOU USED A BREAD MAKER?

I love mine. I use the dough cycle most of the time because the loaf is too tall from the machine. With RA it really helps save my hands.

Honored Contributor

@Ruthie-Roo wrote:

@catlover wrote:

I have been buying "artisan bread" the last few weeks from Stop and Shop.

Well.........after eating really good bread-it's hard to go back to arnold..........

I found cranberry/walnut bread....so good and also the garlic bread is great-but of course they have not had it the last 2 weeks.

And no cinnamon raisin swirl-bummer

Well-it got me thinking about getting a bread maker.......................

@catlover  Get the cookbook by Beth Hensperger, The Bread Lover's Bread Machine Cookbook: A Master Baker's 300 Favorite Recipes for Perfect-Every-Time Bread.  It is, by far, the best bread machine cookbook I have ever used and owned.  I've tried several recipes, with great success.  It's a HUGE book, with a boatload of recipes, so, the possibilities and tweaking opportunities are endless.  I'm still working my way through it.  The basic white bread recipe is our frequent go-to.  Best white bread *I've* ever eaten!   My family seems to love it as well.

I've only had Breadman brand machines, starting with second-hand ones that did very well, then, a new one two years ago -- TR2500BC model, which I love.  I don't think it's made any longer.  Breadman is part of Spectrum Brands, which also owns Black & Decker, George Foreman, etc., and other well-known brands so I feel confident in going back to them for a new machine, whenever necessary.  No, I don't work for them, I just love the Breadman line.  :-)

If you have some failures in bread machine baking, keep at it!!  Don't depair.  Many factors go into how well or how not-so-well a loaf or other bread machine recipes turns out.  Plus, practice makes perfect.  Do lots of research on machines and recipes.  Of course, the folks here on this forum are a most valuable source of information -- I've learned a great deal from them.  Good luck!

@Ruthie-Roo @catlover  You can download a pdf version of that cookbook online FREE. I searched it when I saw it mentioned in another of your postsback on the 1st. I was going to buy it but did not have to.

Another good recipe book is Bread Machine Magic by Linda Rehberg & Lois Conway. All the recipes we have made from it have all been good. There is a revised edition so look for that one since it has the recipes listed for 1 lb 1 1/2 lb & 2 lb loaves.

Respected Contributor

I have a Zojirushi bread maker...it was pricey to buy but IMO worth every penny.  Over the years I had so many of those cheaper ones that never cooked right, died after only a few uses, hated the upright shape, and so on and so on.  This Zojirushi makes the loaf long wise like a regular pan bread....and hands down it makes the best cake breads like banada bread, apple spice bread (my favorite), lemon loaf, etc.  

Super Contributor

@Nightowlz

@Ruthie-Roo @CATLOVER  You can download a pdf version of that cookbook online FREE. I searched it when I saw it mentioned in another of your postsback on the 1st. I was going to buy it but did not have to.

Another good recipe book is Bread Machine Magic by Linda Rehberg & Lois Conway. All the recipes we have made from it have all been good. There is a revised edition so look for that one since it has the recipes listed for 1 lb 1 1/2 lb & 2 lb loaves.

Whoa, Nelly....  FREE????  Me likey, me likey!!!  ;-)  Thanks!!  Wish I would have known that a couple of years ago, but eh, no biggie.  I do still love actual books, in addition to the e-books I own.  Going to have to look up that freebie.  I appreciate your mention of the other cookbook.  Going to check that one out, too.  Thanks again! 

Super Contributor

@tiny 2 wrote:

I love mine. I use the dough cycle most of the time because the loaf is too tall from the machine. With RA it really helps save my hands.

@tiny 2  Would it be possible to turn the loaf sideways and slice it?  I've never tried that with my loaves.  My machine makes rather tall loaves also, but we don't mind.  If need be, we just cut the ginormous slices in half.  But I understand that you may prefer doing otherwise.  :-)  I don't have issues with my hands (yet), but I still prefer using the machine, as opposed to making bread by hand.  I have great compassion for anyone who suffers from RA other any dexterity-related problems, as my elderly mother has those issues.  

Super Contributor

@Ruthie-Roo wrote:

@Nightowlz

@Ruthie-Roo @catlover  You can download a pdf version of that cookbook online FREE. I searched it when I saw it mentioned in another of your postsback on the 1st. I was going to buy it but did not have to.

Whoa, Nelly....  FREE????  Me likey, me likey!!!  ;-)  Thanks!!  Wish I would have known that a couple of years ago, but eh, no biggie.  I do still love actual books, in addition to the e-books I own.  Going to have to look up that freebie.  I appreciate your mention of the other cookbook.  Going to check that one out, too.  Thanks again! 

@catlover  P.S.  -- FOUND that cookbook you mentioned, the 2003 revised edition, and requested it from the library.  I'm always up for exploring other bread machine cookbooks and recipes.  Many thanks, @catlover.  :-)

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Ruthie-Roo

I let the machine make the dough and knead, then take it out and bake in the oven. Sometimes it needs to rise a little more. The slices are too big from the machine for a normal sandwich which my husband has everyday for lunch. I can make a normal size in the oven. Sometimes I just let the machine do it all.

When I am having a flare I have learned not to push my luck. My SIL comes over and slices bread, cuts the watermelon and cantaloupe for me. My husband always helps too but she is much faster and makes nicer cuts LOL. Fortunately with modern meds severe flares are not that often.

Honored Contributor

All the time and we will frequently send a loaf as a thank you gift or to a pot luck. WHen our Mothers were with us we would have them to dinner and I always made a losf of bread and they both enjoyed it.

When I lose the TV controller, it's always in some remote destination.
Super Contributor

@Ruthie-Roo @CATLOVER  You can download a pdf version of that cookbook online FREE. I searched it when I saw it mentioned in another of your postsback on the 1st. I was going to buy it but did not have to.

@Nightowlz  I recently picked up a library copy of the Bread Machine Magic cookbook that you mentioned.  In glancing through it, I see that wheat germ is called for in at least some of the recipes.  Is that really necessary?  Or have you found success without it?  I've never bought or used wheat germ before, and don't want to, unless it's absolutely critical to the bread's success.  I use good-quality ingredients, but not THE most expensive, and I've had quite good luck for a long time, even with a few store brand items.  As much as I love King Arthur Flour, I stopped using it (for now), due to cutting corners.  Any tips or comments from your experiences using this cookbook would be appreciated, whenever you can respond.  Thank you much!  :-)

Honored Contributor

Just used my Cuisinart this morning even though my camera date is off

cooled down here enough to make me want a piece of 'real' bread. LOL

DSCN0200.JPG