Honored Contributor

Re: DO YOU OR HAVE YOU USED A BREAD MAKER?

I have been using some brand of bread maker ever since they came out on the maket. Love it altho  now, since I have to closly watch carbs, I haven't used it much. But have made all sorts of bread and cakes and even jam in it.

Esteemed Contributor

Our neighbors gave us their older model The Bread Machine. They were trying to go lower carb, and didn't want it around. I LOVE it! It especially comes in handy at the holidays, because it frees up your oven for other things. You can pretty much put this anywhere in the house, and it just does its thing. My favorite bread for holiday dinners is cranberry walnut whole grain bread. It has white, whole wheat, buckwheat, ground flax and oats - along with buttermilk and honey. It reallly adds to the festive and homey smell of the house at holidays! Start with the basic recipes that come with the machine, and then start experimenting. It's fun!

Honored Contributor

I bought one several years ago when they were the big fad (like air fryers are now).  The best part was smelling the yeast bread rising and baking.  My mother was living with me and I tried several recipes for bread - she did not like it because it was "too soft".  I found the bread turned moldy really fast.  If you have a large family that eats a lot of bread it would probably be a good item to have.  

Honored Contributor

yes-one of my unfinished loaves got moldy.............just a few days later-this never happens with the other breads-

still thinking about it-maybe I'll try and make a loaf the old fashioned way................

CATS ARE HEAVEN SENT
Honored Contributor

I bought one from QVC probably in the 90's and it was round and looked like a robot.  Later I purchased a breadman which used for years and then put it away.  A couple of years ago I got it out and it didn't seem to work well so I bought the Mini Zo at BB and Beyond with their coupon.  I was buying English Muffins all the time and sometimes had to go to the store when it was the only item I needed.  Been making my own bread since--will be 2 years in Sept.   Household of only me now and the 1 loaf size works well for me.  I store the bread in the refridgerator and either make toast or just warm it in the toaster.  Haven't had any "go bad" and no preservatives are used.    Really enjoy  making and eating the bread.   Well worth the purchase for me. (Small enough to leave on the counter.)

Super Contributor

@cancun08 wrote:

@catlover

I have had a bread maker for years.  One night I had a brainstorm of making cinnamon bread before I went to bed that night so that my family could have nice fresh & warm bread for breakfast in the morning.  The smell of cinnamon bread was wafting through the house at 2am and I couldn't get back to sleep for a couple of hours.  I was all but drooling!  Please learn from my mistake!!  Lol

LOL! I worked  as night nursing supervisor in a fairly large hospital. The nurses in Labor & Delivery went together and bought a breadmaker and on slow nights would make bread during the night. The cinnamon raisin bread was the best. It smelled so good as I got off the elevator on that floor. One night one of the fathers waiting for his wife to deliver was starving and our cafeteria was closed at night. He walked up to the nurse's station and waved a $20 bill and said, "I'll pay you $20 for that loaf of bread!" We gave it to him. The next day he brought in a case of boxes of bread machine baking mix. Nice guy!! He said he was buying a bread machine for his family.

Honored Contributor

I have had one for about a year, got it in my old age.  I love it.  We dont buy store bread anymore.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Honored Contributor

We use our bread machine all the time. DH always shapes the loaf & uses a 12 x 4 pan to make the bread in. We don't care for the shape bread machines make a loaf. It's been triple digit temps here so I have been buying Dave's Killer Bread & French Brioche Buns. If it quit working I would buy another one.

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

CATLOVER wrote:

I have been buying "artisan bread" the last few weeks from Stop and Shop.

Well.........after eating really good bread-it's hard to go back to arnold..........

I found cranberry/walnut bread....so good and also the garlic bread is great-but of course they have not had it the last 2 weeks.

And no cinnamon raisin swirl-bummer

Well-it got me thinking about getting a bread maker.......................

@catlover  Get the cookbook by Beth Hensperger, The Bread Lover's Bread Machine Cookbook: A Master Baker's 300 Favorite Recipes for Perfect-Every-Time Bread.  It is, by far, the best bread machine cookbook I have ever used and owned.  I've tried several recipes, with great success.  It's a HUGE book, with a boatload of recipes, so, the possibilities and tweaking opportunities are endless.  I'm still working my way through it.  The basic white bread recipe is our frequent go-to.  Best white bread *I've* ever eaten!   My family seems to love it as well.

I've only had Breadman brand machines, starting with second-hand ones that did very well, then, a new one two years ago -- TR2500BC model, which I love.  I don't think it's made any longer.  Breadman is part of Spectrum Brands, which also owns Black & Decker, George Foreman, etc., and other well-known brands so I feel confident in going back to them for a new machine, whenever necessary.  No, I don't work for them, I just love the Breadman line.  :-)

If you have some failures in bread machine baking, keep at it!!  Don't depair.  Many factors go into how well or how not-so-well a loaf or other bread machine recipes turns out.  Plus, practice makes perfect.  Do lots of research on machines and recipes.  Of course, the folks here on this forum are a most valuable source of information -- I've learned a great deal from them.  Good luck!

Honored Contributor

I used to make bread from scratch a lot.

We were gifted with a bread maker, used it once, hated it and gave it away.

The loaf was small and I wasn't fond of the hole through it from the paddle.