Honored Contributor

DO YOU OR HAVE YOU USED A BREAD MAKER?

I have been buying "artisan bread" the last few weeks from Stop and Shop.

Well.........after eating really good bread-it's hard to go back to arnold..........

I found cranberry/walnut bread....so good and also the garlic bread is great-but of course they have not had it the last 2 weeks.

And no cinnamon raisin swirl-bummer

Well-it got me thinking about getting a bread maker.......................

CATS ARE HEAVEN SENT
Honored Contributor

Re: DO YOU OR HAVE YOU USED A BREAD MAKER?

I have a bread maker, and I really like it. I made the mistake of making the cranberry, lemon bread for friends, and now they look for a loaf everytime I see them. I myself try not to eat too much bread, but once in a while it is a treat. I got mine free with reward points, and probably never would have purchased one, but now I'm glad that I have it.🍞🍞

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Honored Contributor

I use the dough cycle more than bread cycle.I make cinnamon buns,pizza dough and cheese sticks often.

Trusted Contributor

My DH made the best bread I've ever had in our bread maker!

Esteemed Contributor

I had one, used it a few times. I don't think mine turned out as good as ya'lls.....I think I ended up giving it to my son.

Respected Contributor

Yes, I have a Breadman that I purchased from QVC many, many years ago (over 20).  It works very well and makes fabulous bread.  I bought a bread recipe book to go along with it from book store that has fabulous recipes.  My favorite is Greek Feta/Black olive bread.  I also make my grandmother's recipe using cottage cheese and dill seed.  It's called "Dilly Bread."

I store it in the bottom of my linen closet and get it out a couple of times a year. It is worth the hassle of storing it. One of my best friends lives for homemade bread, so I make it for her sometimes.  

Honored Contributor

I have gone through many bread makers over the years and used it more for the purpose of mixing, kneading and rising. I would pull the bread out of the bread maker and bake it in my own oven. I just didn't think the bread maker baked the loaf the way I liked it, no matter what make or model it was.  I'm very picky though, I actually baked artisan bread for a living at one time.

Trusted Contributor

My sister bought a bread machine several years ago. It's now referred to by my brother-in-law as the most expensive loaf of bread he's ever had. It didn't last long in their house.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I taught myself to bake bread in my 20s long before breadmakers were around. When they first came out, they were $800,  which sounds ridiculous now. I couldn't wait to get one. I didn't mind paying that much. We still have that breadmaker and I still use it. I still make bread without the breadmaker, too,  because sometimes it just feels good to get in there with my hands and knead the dough. I'm an earth sign, so it's very satisfying! But it's handy to have the cycle  to just make the dough and then I can pull it out and still form it into whatever I want. I tried some boxed bread mixes from the grocery store, and they were not impressive. But if I start with my own bread recipes, the breadmaker is quite handy. Looking back, it was one of the best things I ever bought. 

... sorry for typos from dictating on my iPad. I just found a couple and fixed those. 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Yes, I have a Williams Sonoma bread maker and I really love it. I don't use it all the time simply because I don't eat a lot of bread but this thing really amazes me. I don't ever bake bread in it because I don't like the shape but I just do the dough and then put it in one of my loaf pans. I have made cin. rolls, pizza dough and all types of bread, dinner rolls and english muffins. I love breads with all kinds of stuff in it like dried fruits and seeds. One day when I decided to make reuben sandwiches, I also said well I will make rye bread and see how that works. OMG, it was delcious. Best rye bread I have ever had.  So very easy and so good.

I remember using a bread maker the first time and you were supposed to dump all the stuff in. I was SO skeptical, I just didn't think it would turn out. I was so amazed at how delicious it was. I just didn't think that something so easy would deliver such a tasty product. I have to say, it still amazes me. 

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK