Trusted Contributor

DIY Non-dairy 'milks'

[ Edited ]

I've been trying different ND milk recipes. I've used Oatmeal and cashews. For anyone interested: I soak overnight the oatmeal, ( I used organic steel cut oats, but you can use regular rolled oats.) or cashews, ( I use roasted ones but raw would be as good) in water. Drain/rinse- I use my Vitamix and a 1: 4 ration of water/ice. Blend until desired consistancy. You can flavor/sweeten as desired. I don't feel the need to filter it anymore than the Vitamix does. Store in fridge-use within 1 or 2 days. Combining ND milks yield interesting results, too.

MUCH less expensive and less funky ingredients than store-bought.

PS: more nutrition and LESS to NONE; calories, hormones, inflammation, and anitbiotics than cow's milk.

Honored Contributor

I've made almond milk and it was good but found it wasn't very cost effective as buying it in the grocery store. I buy Blue Diamond almond milk as it is one of the few that doesn't have any carrageenen in it. If you take the time involved, to prepare the nuts, the nuts themselves and then having a blender that will do the job, making it is kind of pricey really. However---it is pure , unadulterated goodness. Also I used purified water too. Haven't tried the other nuts milks yet. I do have a Vitamix and nut bags--and  you can dry the left over nut meal and use that as flour too. But would like to try more combos too.

P.S. I LOVE my new vitamix!!!!!!

Trusted Contributor

wagirl- so happy that you love your new Vitamix! I knew you would.

Honored Contributor

We drink organic cows milk.  Neither of us have found any of the other "milks" that we can stand.  I'm not afraid of milk at all.  

Trusted Contributor

Re: DIY Non-dairy 'milks'

[ Edited ]

This post is just an FYI- not trying to convert anyone from drinking a fluid meant for the young of another species! 

Also: If you add dates and pumpkin pie spice to a thick run of cashew milk-you can use in place of flavored coffee creamer-Yumm

No Vitamix? No problem!: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k8d4ZW_VHzo

Respected Contributor

Thanks for posting.  I buy the nut milks due to the cost of raw nuts, but had never heard of making a milk from oats.  I do have a Vitamix, so I'll have to get some oats & see how  like that one.  I can't drink cow's milk at all any more, not even organic.  It still causes inflammation in my joints & it's too high in sodium.  Funny - way back in the 70s my Mom went to a lecture about nutrition presented by an MD (don't remenber his name).  I've forgotten most of what she told me about what the dr. said, except one thing stayed with me:  adults don't need cow's milk & shouldn't drink it it.   I don't know the basis of his statement, but find it interesting in light of my own problems with it today.

Honored Contributor

Re: DIY Non-dairy 'milks'

[ Edited ]

Lacey---I am going to try your recipe for the oat milk. Please let us know about your other milk adventures--I would love to hear about them.

FYI, I'm not afraid of cows milk, just not happy with how it affects my system, organic or not.

Esteemed Contributor

@wagirl wrote:

I've made almond milk and it was good but found it wasn't very cost effective as buying it in the grocery store. I buy Blue Diamond almond milk as it is one of the few that doesn't have any carrageenen in it. If you take the time involved, to prepare the nuts, the nuts themselves and then having a blender that will do the job, making it is kind of pricey really. However---it is pure , unadulterated goodness. Also I used purified water too. Haven't tried the other nuts milks yet. I do have a Vitamix and nut bags--and  you can dry the left over nut meal and use that as flour too. But would like to try more combos too.

P.S. I LOVE my new vitamix!!!!!!

It doesn't sound cost effective; especially given that you have to use it up in two days.

Get your flu shot...because I didn't.
Trusted Contributor

Check YouTube for lots of recipes for these non-dairy milks. A frozen bananna adds a lot of texture and flavor!  Enjoy and have fun with them!