Trusted Contributor

DISAPPOINTMENT IN CURTIS STONE DURAPANS

After seeing Curtis Stone thoroughly demo his durapans on HSN numerous times, I bought a set of 3 small baking pans (rectangular) and a 3 qu. sauce pan.

The demos always featured melted cheese "burning" the bottom of the pans with the advisory that a simple cloth could wipe the burnt bottom clean without so much as saying 1,2,3.

With the small baking pans (I posted about this last month) my experience has been rust settling under the rim of the pans.  Another poster advised me to dry "right-side-up" so the moisture doesn't settle as I was doing it "upside down"....and, that has helped, although there is still some rust that I carefully scrub away each evening when I do the dishes.

Today I got a call while I was boiling carrots in the durapan sauce pan.  I completely forgot to turn down the heat so when the call ended, I understood there the carrots were burned and had to be thrown out.  There was a burned crust on the bottom of the pan that couldn't be BUDGED with a dry cloth (like he demoed). 

I have the pan soaking in a baking soda solution to get it clean just like I would do if the same thing happened in a stainless steel pan I have.

To say I am disappointed in the Curtis Stone Durapans would be an understatement.  Too late to return so I'll use in a "realistic" manner expecting none of the benefits he describes when selling them.

Respected Contributor

Re: DISAPPOINTMENT IN CURTIS STONE DURAPANS

I always notice that the "cleaning with a dry cloth" is always done while the pans are still hot. Even that might not have worked with your burnt carrot crust though. When som,ething has formed a crust around the inside from normal cooking I still have to soak it once the pan is no longer hot. I still like the durapans though. The baking pans not so much.

Trusted Contributor

Love his pans, and my homemade pizza almost slides out. I however have not burnt anything to a point of ruining one of them. You my dear did. 

His demo of the cheese is far different than burnt vegetables. You ruined the pan, lucky for you that was all.

Trusted Contributor

@froggy Not to sound naive (I'm NOT); however, I wonder what the rationale could possibly be for him to produce products that don't perform as sold.  

I have other items (little accessories like a baster and silicone handles for pots) that I like a lot.  

This experience definitely soured me on his line.

I will add that through the years I've bought a TON of Wolfgang Puck items NONE of which failed to perform.

So there's that...

Super Contributor

I have had my set since the first time he brought them to HSN, And they are still like brand new and have held up great. Maybe they have a new manufacturer. Sorry to hear you are disappointed. Unfortunately so many items that are truly good quality have changed in recent years.🙁

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@pdlinda 

Unfortunately, even Curtis Stone and his cookware can't withstand cooking mistakes by users, such as leaving a pan on a hot stove too long.

I've never had any trouble with anything from his line.

Perhaps not everyone knows that almost  ALL  metal baking sheets or pans with upper rims curled around the edges will collect water in that curled area.   The metal will eventually rust after washing unless allowed to air dry properly.

I've had many rimmed baking sheets over the years, and to me, this is just a fact of owning, washing and drying them.  A little rust under the rim probably doesn't matter to cooking food, anyway.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Performance is always "within reason".  You cannot totally burn a pan out and expect it to magically come clean?!   It's like blaming the car wax company if you crash your car or something, now it's not shiny anymore, bad product.......  I have a lot of his pans and they all perform just like he states they will.   Sorry for your mishap but seriously don't give him a bad rap, it frankly was your fault.   

Honored Contributor

@pdlindaI wonder if you've ever had an incident like you describe using your Wolfgang pans?  Wonder what would happen?

Trusted Contributor

@novamc1   I take FULL RESPONSIBILITY for not monitoring the cooking of the carrots in the durapan.  

I soaked the pot in baking soda solution overnight and scrubbed the residue of the char with my ScrubDaddy sponge this morning and the durapan seems as good as new.

Therefore, I retract my negative review of the Durapan with delight as I really like Curtis Stone's presentations and didn't think he would intentionally "stiff" his customers.

I appreciate all the comments critiquing my mistake and picked up a lot of info regarding expectations of equipment I didn't have before (rusting under the rim of the baking pans).

THANKS to all!

Super Contributor

I'm never very impressed when any non-stick pan is shown to be working by using burned cheese.  Think out it...cheese is fat.  Fat doesn't stick anyway.

I want to see them burn on egg whites! lol

I bought the Ninja Never Stick pans and so far so good.