Respected Contributor

Re: Curtis Stone Tri tip

[ Edited ]

@Razzy 7 

Yes, DH and I pay for  a premium membership.  It pays off nicely, no matter what it costs.    Of course not every household can make equally good use of what Costco has to offer.  DH and I make very good use of it   

For example, we keep our cars for a long time and need new tires periodically.  We never buy tires anywhere else than from Costco--highest quality Michelin tires at a good price, installed while you wait at many Costco locations--with some cash back coming eventually from this big purchase on the Costco VISA card.

(edit)

@Razzy 7 

Forgot to mention that you need to have the Costco-sponsored VISA credit card to take advantage of all the benefits that can be had with membership

Trusted Contributor

I often bought expensive food online to send to my MIL when she was alive, 800 miles from us.  She rarely got to a grocery store, and would just open a can of vegetables or fruit to eat as a meal.  While I never bought hams or large pieces of meat, I did buy individual serving sizes of fish or chicken.  She loved the snacks that we ordered for her. There are many reasons that people pay the exorbitant prices for food from shopping networks.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@chessyladyPersonally, I wouldn't buy meat from ANY TV Shopping Channel.  I don't care whose name is on the product; that's irrelevant marketing claptrap.  That's my bottom line.

That said, I went to the HSN website and looked at the product.  There is NO information as to what USDA Grade is being sold.  I have no idea if it's Prime, or Choice or Select.  That alone is a "deal-breaker" for me.  The product costs $21+ per pound.  That seems awfully steep to me.  That's the nail in the coffin.

.Look.  I have a choice of supermarkets I can use for meat purchases.  They all sell USDA Choice.  Recently one had a small supply of Prime steaks and I bought one.  If I want Choice, I use those markets.   If I want Prime on a regular basis, there are a number of supply houses on line that offer Prime meats.

As for Costco or Sam's Club.  We're two people.  We'd never purchase enough to overcome the membeship costs.  Doesn't work for us.

Respected Contributor

We just had our preseasoned tri-tip from Costco and were quite disappointed - did not like the flavor at all. Normally we buy it unmarinated and use Lawry's Meat Marinade which is virtually foolproof. We just decided to try Costco's this one time. Costco meat , especially tri-tip and steaks are fabulous, so we will just stick with seasoning it ourselves.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Agree with OP.  Also The one type of store we do have around my area is FOOD. I don’t find it necessary to order food off TV. JMO- 

My personal rule is to only order what I can’t get around where I live! Saves me lots! 

Esteemed Contributor

It is an expense and I don't buy a lot of food online but have tried Curtis Stones prime rib and burgers and have been surprisingly happy.  He is a big advocate of organic farms and humanely treated live stock and I would like to believe he is a man of his word.  I really think what you are paying for espeically with the spatchcock chickens is the convenience of someone cutting and preparing the chicken for you, all you have to do is throw it in the oven.