Super Contributor

Crumb coffee cake - I had no idea it was a regional recipe. I'm going to try this one.

I grew up on this coffee cake. It reminds me so much of my mom and her sister. I searched for a recipe, only to find that it's a regional recipe.

I'm going to try this one today:

New York Crumb Cake

I don't usually care for Martha Stewart recipes. They are often unnecessarily complicated, but this one looks simple. NY CRUMB CAKE

Honored Contributor

Re: Crumb coffee cake - I had no idea it was a regional recipe. I'm going to try this one.

I did not know this was a regional recipe either. My grandmother in Pasadena, California used to make this on Sundays occasionally.

Respected Contributor

Re: Crumb coffee cake - I had no idea it was a regional recipe. I'm going to try this one.

That looks good - I'll have to try it!

I didn't realize it was regional either, but then again, I lived in NYC for most of my life. That looks like the crumb cake my mother used to send me to pick up at the bakery after church, or Entenmann's crumb cake, which has gotten ridiculously expensive.

One thing I'm going to change on the recipe is, let the cake bake for half an hour and then scatter the crumbs on top; otherwise they sink down into the batter. I forget which chef it was who said to do it that way...

Thanks for sharing! {#emotions_dlg.thumbup1}

Frequent Contributor

Here's a recipe that a "missing" poster named missbuttercup posted quite a while ago. I saved it because it sounded so good, but have never yet tried it. However, Lavendersage replied and said it was truly marvelous!

I wish Missbuttercup would return, she had some great recipes!

Frequent Contributor

DUH..... maybe I should post the recipe!

New York-Style Crumb Cake
(Source: Cook’s Illustrated, May 2007)

Serves 8 to 10

Don’t be tempted to substitute all-purpose flour for the cake flour, as doing so will make a dry, tough cake. If you can’t find buttermilk, you can substitute an equal amount of plain, low-fat yogurt. When topping the cake, take care to not push the crumbs into the batter. This recipe can be easily doubled and baked in a 13 by 9-inch baking dish. If doubling, increase the baking time to about 45 minutes. Cooled leftovers can be wrapped in plastic wrap and stored at room temperature for up to 2 days.

Crumb Topping
1/3 cup granulated sugar (2 2/3 ounces)
1/3 cup dark brown sugar (2 2/3 ounces)
3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon table salt
8 tablespoons unsalted butter (1 stick), melted and still warm
1 3/4 cups cake flour (7 ounces)

Cake
1 1/4 cups cake flour (5 ounces)
1/2 cup granulated sugar (3 1/2 ounces)
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon table salt
6 tablespoons unsalted butter (3/4 stick), cut into 6 pieces, softened but still cool
1 large egg
1 large egg yolk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/3 cup buttermilk
Confectioners’ sugar for dusting

1. FOR THE TOPPING: Whisk sugars, cinnamon, salt, and butter in medium bowl to combine. Add flour and stir with rubber spatula or wooden spoon until mixture resembles thick, cohesive dough; set aside to cool to room temperature, 10 to 15 minutes.

2. FOR THE CAKE: Adjust oven rack to upper-middle position and heat oven to 325 degrees. Cut 16-inch length parchment paper or aluminum foil and fold lengthwise to 7-inch width. Spray 8-inch square baking dish with nonstick cooking spray and fit parchment into dish, pushing it into corners and up sides; allow excess to overhang edges of dish.

3. In bowl of standing mixer fitted with paddle attachment, mix flour, sugar, baking soda, and salt on low speed to combine. With mixer running at low speed, add butter one piece at a time; continue beating until mixture resembles moist crumbs, with no visible butter chunks remaining, 1 to 2 minutes. Add egg, yolk, vanilla, and buttermilk; beat on medium-high speed until light and fluffy, about 1 minute, scraping once if necessary.

4. Transfer batter to baking pan; using rubber spatula, spread batter into even layer. Following photos below, break apart crumb topping into large pea-sized pieces and spread in even layer over batter, beginning with edges and then working toward center. Bake until crumbs are golden and wooden skewer inserted into center of cake comes out clean, 35 to 40 minutes. Cool on wire rack at least 30 minutes. Remove cake from pan by lifting parchment overhang. Dust with confectioners’ sugar just before serving

Valued Contributor

Thanks-My DH absolutely adores any kind of crumb or coffee cake. I'll have to make it.Smiley Happy
Super Contributor

This was a popular recipe in St. Louis, MO, when I was growing up, too. I suspect that it's 'regional' wherever there were good German bakeries, and I think they were pretty widespread. It's just my opinion, maybe not a fact. {#emotions_dlg.ohmy}

Esteemed Contributor

house cat ~ please come back and tell us how this turned out! It looks like it would be great for a large gathering for breakfast/brunch.

Honored Contributor

I have made this recipe in the past from Martha. It turned out great. There seems to be very little batter when you pour or place (thick) into pan. But it all works out. The crumb topping was my favorite part - both as a child and now. The amount of butter and sugar is a bit scary but oh so good. Enjoy

Super Contributor

On 1/7/2014 SalsPal said:

DUH..... maybe I should post the recipe!

New York-Style Crumb Cake
(Source: Cook’s Illustrated, May 2007)

Serves 8 to 10

Don’t be tempted to substitute all-purpose flour for the cake flour, as doing so will make a dry, tough cake. If you can’t find buttermilk, you can substitute an equal amount of plain, low-fat yogurt. When topping the cake, take care to not push the crumbs into the batter. This recipe can be easily doubled and baked in a 13 by 9-inch baking dish. If doubling, increase the baking time to about 45 minutes. Cooled leftovers can be wrapped in plastic wrap and stored at room temperature for up to 2 days.

Crumb Topping
1/3 cup granulated sugar (2 2/3 ounces)
1/3 cup dark brown sugar (2 2/3 ounces)
3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon table salt
8 tablespoons unsalted butter (1 stick), melted and still warm
1 3/4 cups cake flour (7 ounces)

Cake
1 1/4 cups cake flour (5 ounces)
1/2 cup granulated sugar (3 1/2 ounces)
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon table salt
6 tablespoons unsalted butter (3/4 stick), cut into 6 pieces, softened but still cool
1 large egg
1 large egg yolk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/3 cup buttermilk
Confectioners’ sugar for dusting

1. FOR THE TOPPING: Whisk sugars, cinnamon, salt, and butter in medium bowl to combine. Add flour and stir with rubber spatula or wooden spoon until mixture resembles thick, cohesive dough; set aside to cool to room temperature, 10 to 15 minutes.

2. FOR THE CAKE: Adjust oven rack to upper-middle position and heat oven to 325 degrees. Cut 16-inch length parchment paper or aluminum foil and fold lengthwise to 7-inch width. Spray 8-inch square baking dish with nonstick cooking spray and fit parchment into dish, pushing it into corners and up sides; allow excess to overhang edges of dish.

3. In bowl of standing mixer fitted with paddle attachment, mix flour, sugar, baking soda, and salt on low speed to combine. With mixer running at low speed, add butter one piece at a time; continue beating until mixture resembles moist crumbs, with no visible butter chunks remaining, 1 to 2 minutes. Add egg, yolk, vanilla, and buttermilk; beat on medium-high speed until light and fluffy, about 1 minute, scraping once if necessary.

4. Transfer batter to baking pan; using rubber spatula, spread batter into even layer. Following photos below, break apart crumb topping into large pea-sized pieces and spread in even layer over batter, beginning with edges and then working toward center. Bake until crumbs are golden and wooden skewer inserted into center of cake comes out clean, 35 to 40 minutes. Cool on wire rack at least 30 minutes. Remove cake from pan by lifting parchment overhang. Dust with confectioners’ sugar just before serving

I have made this! It's great..