Valued Contributor

Re: Cruciferous vegetables ...

@sidsmom wrote:

It’s the smell of health.

Now meat cooking, oil splattering everywhere?  That’s icky. 

YES, it is. The smell of any kind of meat cooking is nauseating, especially sausage, lamb, bacon, beef, LIVER. I'm amazed when I read here what some people eat.

Valued Contributor

@TeezNu wrote:

I roast my veggies in the oven - delicious, but it does produce an odor that is offensive to me, particularly the next day.  Currently, I spray Febreeze around the house, and it seems to dissipate the smell pretty quick, or at least by the next morning.

@TeezNu  Like you, I don't smell anything offensive until the next day and especially when coming in from outdoors.  Thank you for the Febreeze idea. 

Valued Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

Don't boil them or cook them to death.  Quickly stir fry, roast in the oven or sousvide them!

@SoonerI received an Air Fryer for Christmas and have been learning to cook with that appliance.  Thank you. I may be cooking 'em to death.

Valued Contributor

Thank you all for your thoughts and recommendations.  I have been cooking and enjoying brussel sprouts and will use your suggestions.

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

@Scorpio1971 wrote:

It is part of the cooking process.  I love the aroma of everything I cook so it does not bother me.  I know some people who do not cook fish and will only eat it in a restaurant because they say it smells.  To me I like to have the aromas linger in the air while eating.

As for removing the odors, you could try opening windows on all sides of house for cross ventilation which would clear it out.  And keep doors to all other rooms shut to keep it from going there in the first place.  I do this automatically if I fry things so the frying odors do not get into bedrooms & clothes.

I cook fish and it sure does linger in the air.  It's one of the harder to get rid of smells.  

Esteemed Contributor

I haven't used this but activated charcoal supposedly helps with odors.

Valued Contributor

My mom always used a vanilla candle, vinegar in a bowl (which was previously mentioned), or she would burn string. She would cut a piece, light both ends and hang it over the kitchen faucet over the sink. It was heavy duty string and it would burn for a while. I tried it once with the kitchen string I had. I laid the piece over the faucet, lit both ends and it  burned up in about 5 seconds. Took care of the yucky smell I had tho! LOL

cookin 

Honored Contributor

I do agree that overcooking is the culprit.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Respected Contributor

as @ECBG  mentioned I use an air purifier that I will move into the kitchen when I have cooked salmon. I also open the window just a bit in the door and turn on the overhead fan and direct  a little fan I keep in the kitchen toward it.