Regular Contributor

Crockpot shredded Turkey Breast. Perfect and easy for after sporting events or tailgating. Feeds a

Repeat post from 2012

EASY CROCKPOT SREDDED TURKEY BREAST
‎05-18-2012 10:10 AM

This easy shredded turkey recipe is great served on good quality, buttery rolls. I know it sounds weird, but trust me it is wonderful. As an FYI, it makes a large amount of meat and freezes perfectly. It has become our go-to meal and take-along on family vacations. It is my “assignment” and I make it the day before, add coleslaw and tomatoesu to the menu Have made it this way for many, many years, and shared it with many, t is that good (we think.) Hope you enjoy it too.

1 can light beer

½ cup butter

1 envelope onion soup mix

10 pound FROZEN whole turkey breast (I have used hen turkey with same results)

Pour beer into a large crockpot, add butter and onion soup mix. Stir just to mix soup mix into the beer.

Place turkey breast in the crockpot, cover and cook on LOW for 8 hours or overnight.

After cooked, separate turkey meat from the bone and discard bone. DO NOT DISCARD LIQUID.

Using two forks, shred the turkey meat, and return meat to the liquid, season as necessary.

Serve warm on sandwich rolls.

it works with any size turkey or turkey breast and in a pinch I have used unfrozen meat. Just adjust the timing.

Honored Contributor

Re: Crockpot shredded Turkey Breast. Perfect and easy for after sporting events or tailgating. Feed

I always do a turkey breast (with the backbone cut out and placed on the side so the lid closes) as extra for Thanksgiving.  I use the same spices over a breast covered in butter.  

My crock pot is the oval.

Perfect slices in 5  hours on low and I get one just over 9 lbs!

Honored Contributor

Re: Crockpot shredded Turkey Breast. Perfect and easy for after sporting events or tailgating. Feed

I think I'll try this with a turkey breast.  Probably would use less of the onion?   (Just cook for one.)

Trusted Contributor

I have made this and it is delicious. I used a boneless turkey breast and I am pretty sure that I did not use the butter. Leftovers freeze well, too.

Esteemed Contributor

@cece5231. Thanks for sharing your recipe again. We almost always earn a free frozen turkey breast from our local grocery store at the holidays. I never know just what to do with it. Now I do.

Esteemed Contributor

Sounds good.  Will need to come up with a substitute for the onion soup mix, as it has "stuff" in it that will start a migraine within a few minutes.

Also, have found that new and best way to shred is to place meat in the bowl of my Kitchen Aid with the flat beater and place on low.  Wah-Lah, before you know it, without any struggles at all, you have perfectly shredded meat.

Respected Contributor

Delish! I will be doing this, but not with light beer. I don't like it. When I cook with beer, which is the only way I use beer, it is the regular stuff. The light just doesn't embody the flavor of the real thing. I hate to drink the stuff, but when it is in soup, stew or even cabbage, it changes some how.
Honored Contributor

@sfnative wrote:

Sounds good.  Will need to come up with a substitute for the onion soup mix, as it has "stuff" in it that will start a migraine within a few minutes.

Also, have found that new and best way to shred is to place meat in the bowl of my Kitchen Aid with the flat beater and place on low.  Wah-Lah, before you know it, without any struggles at all, you have perfectly shredded meat.

@sfnative

I'm not sure if this will help you at all with your issues w/ onion soup mix but I thought I would share this.

Dry Onion Soup Mix

Rated:

Submitted By: faye522

Photo By: mommyluvs2cook

Prep Time: 5 Minutes

Ready In: 5 Minutes

Servings: 4

"If you just like making your own, or if you don't want to run to the store, just whip up this dry onion soup mix substitute. You probably have most of the ingredients already. The recipe makes a substitute for a 1-ounce envelope of purchased mix."

Ingredients:

1/4 cup dried onion flakes

2 tablespoons low-sodium beef bouillon granules

1/4 teaspoon onion powder

1/4 teaspoon parsley flakes

1/8 teaspoon celery seed

1/8 teaspoon paprika

1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper

Directions:

Stir the onion flakes, beef bouillon granules, onion powder, parsley flakes, celery seed, paprika, and black pepper in a bowl. Use as substitute for a 1-ounce envelope of dry onion soup mix.

Esteemed Contributor

@RespectLife wrote:

@sfnative wrote:

@sfnative

I'm not sure if this will help you at all with your issues w/ onion soup mix but I thought I would share this.

Dry Onion Soup Mix

Rated:

Submitted By: faye522

Photo By: mommyluvs2cook

Prep Time: 5 Minutes

Ready In: 5 Minutes

Servings: 4

"If you just like making your own, or if you don't want to run to the store, just whip up this dry onion soup mix substitute. You probably have most of the ingredients already. The recipe makes a substitute for a 1-ounce envelope of purchased mix."

Ingredients:

1/4 cup dried onion flakes

2 tablespoons low-sodium beef bouillon granules

1/4 teaspoon onion powder

1/4 teaspoon parsley flakes

1/8 teaspoon celery seed

1/8 teaspoon paprika

1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper

Directions:

Stir the onion flakes, beef bouillon granules, onion powder, parsley flakes, celery seed, paprika, and black pepper in a bowl. Use as substitute for a 1-ounce envelope of dry onion soup mix.

@RespectLife

Thanks so much for taking the time to post the above substitute for the packaged onion soup mix.  Since the onion soup dip is a favorite family snack that I haven't made in ages, you can rest assured I'm going to make it again!

Honored Contributor

I know I am a little late to this party but I made this Taste of Home recipe that added cranberry sauce to the mix and it was delicious and so moist/tender:

https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/cranberry-turkey-breast-with-gravy