Honored Contributor

@cookinfreakwrote:

I work in a smaller office with about 40 EE. We have a production warehouse and the majority of the EE work there or are out and about in the field with installation. There are about 12 people in the main office, the majority of who drink coffee as well as myself. I usually get 2 pots of coffee ready in the afternoon for the next morning so the guys who need to get to the job sites can grab a cup and go. They start sometimes and 6am or so and that is why I usually have it ready so they don't have to stand around and wait for the coffee. Here is my vent. The people in the main office will NEVER make a pot of coffee when they take the last of it and just expect that I will do it. Then, they will come back for coffee and complain and whine when there isn't any made.   There is even one female who announces to me that the coffee pots are empty. I usually have 1-2 cups when I get to the office and then I am done. Others drink it all day. I have made up to 6 pots in one day all for other people. I have been polite, I have been stern and even put up a joke about making coffee and it falls on deaf ears.  This is the only place I have worked that people have this attitude. The places before where I worked, it was understood if you took the last of the coffee, you made a new one. I know there are worse things in the world, but after 10 years of this bull, I'm tired of it.

Thanks for letting me get it off my chest

cookin

PS I haven't made any (or drank) coffee for the last 2 days. Now all of sudden, others can make it.

Are you serious??   What is she, 12 years old??

No coffee in the pot, guess what???

No coffee for you.

Become the coffee nazi  (like the soup nazi in Seinfeld.)

Everyone who drinks the coffee should make the coffee when it's their turn.

Honored Contributor

You've been doing this for 10 years???  No wonder they expect you to do it.  Just stop.

Esteemed Contributor

@cookinfreak, get your own little Keurig and forget the office coffee pot.  LM

Esteemed Contributor

Are you sure no one slipped the words "make coffee" into your job description?

No? 

Then you are the reason people have the expectation you will make coffee.

What do you think they do when you're on vacation, go without coffee until you return?

Personally, I'd have bought myself a thermos ten years ago.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Coworker vent

[ Edited ]

unfortunately, once you start something, people expect it....glad you stopped...i had the same situation with things i did for relatives...when i stopped, they thought there was something wrong with me......

Esteemed Contributor

Here's a sanity saver. Don't expect others to imitate your good deeds. If you do something generous, that's your good motive. If you need to feel appreciated by others and you're not getting it -- then silently (no complaining at work) change your routine. Life is better now that I've lower expectations of others and don't require a lot of kudos. Good luck to you. 

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Honored Contributor

@cookinfreak your post made me smile.  I too was always the coffee maker in a couple of offices I worked in.  The first there were a group of us that would get the coffee pots up and running in the morning but there was one morning when one of the sales guy was sitting in the break room waiting for someone to replenish a pot and actually asked me to do it.  He's still sitting there as far as I know.  At a different job I used to bring in doughnuts to help with morale and it went great until folks started to request specific doughnuts which is fine but then they didn't eat them and they got tossed.  Long story short, end of doughnuts but very spirited conversation over who hosed it for the rest of the group . . . sigh.

Honored Contributor

Re: Coworker vent

[ Edited ]

Let the others make it.  If the topic is brought up, suggest the task gets rotated.  I don't partake in the coffee drinking or making at work.  There was an uproar a couple years ago and a sign-up sheet was posted.  Now two guys make it everyday.  

Regular Contributor

I didn’t read all the posts here but why don’t you make a sign and hang it by the pot stating whoever takes the last of the coffee needs to make fresh, and then let it be.  See if it sinks in.  Let the others complain.  And, either bring a travel mug of coffee in the a.m. from home or stop and get some at a coffee shop.  Or maybe management can spring for a Keurig...at least you can bring your favorite cups and keep them in your desk drawer so any freeloaders don’t use them.  I actually had to do that at my last job!

Esteemed Contributor

@Gardengal55wrote:

I didn’t read all the posts here but why don’t you make a sign and hang it by the pot stating whoever takes the last of the coffee needs to make fresh, and then let it be.  See if it sinks in.  Let the others complain.  And, either bring a travel mug of coffee in the a.m. from home or stop and get some at a coffee shop.  Or maybe management can spring for a Keurig...at least you can bring your favorite cups and keep them in your desk drawer so any freeloaders don’t use them.  I actually had to do that at my last job!

Because it's not her job to suggest who, or assign coffeemaking duties to anyone else.

Any form of "transferring of responsibility" on her part, (stern talks, joking, posting signs, etc) only reinforces the assumption that it has Indeed been her job all along.

And typical office politics will read this action as her "dumping her responsibility" onto someone else. So she should never suggest who should be responsible for making the next pot.

She should only make it clear it won't be her.

Did I say, buy yourself a Thermos and take coffee to work?!