Honored Contributor

Re: Could Use Some Help to Open a Sealed Weck Jar

Once they're opened Weck jars won't produce another vacuum type seal. They don't work in the same way as Ball jars lids do. If it's stuck it's because sticky jam is holding the lid on. if pulling the tab doesn't get it to release then soaking is your best bet.

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Honored Contributor

On 3/30/2015 keeper of the koi said: Just thinking.. Perhaps stick it in the freezer the rubber seal may shrink down ,heat maybe making the seal swell up slightly.Canning jars are tough. A little cold won't hurt ,be careful don't drop it..It is frustrating especially when an item isn't yours! Good luck .,will be interested to see what worked... Maryanne

I posted my response before seeing your message.

Here I go! Going to try it!

Honored Contributor

On 3/30/2015 jaxs mom said:

Once they're opened Weck jars won't produce another vacuum type seal. They don't work in the same way as Ball jars lids do. If it's stuck it's because sticky jam is holding the lid on. if pulling the tab doesn't get it to release then soaking is your best bet.

This is good to know because it keeps me hopeful.

I have soaked this jar for days on end and no dice.

(Must be that darned spice messing everything up -- )

Honored Contributor

SUCCESS!

Freezer (keeper of the koi) for a few minutes PLUS a tug on the rubber seal (jaxs mom) did it.

Thank you, everyone, for trying to help me out.

~Goldie 76

ETA: It appears that I had the jar in the freezer approx. 20 minutes. I just checked the the time I said I was going to place the jar in the freezer and the time I reported success.

Trusted Contributor

Glad you figured it out. I probably would have bought her a new jar and thrown the old one away. Persistence pays off.

Frequent Contributor

Great a little science at work! Happy to have helped! Maryanne