Honored Contributor

Re: Costly culinary tools that don't get much use, or caused buyers remorse?

Aw, House Cat, I totally get it. I've always been very sensory about my cooking. I love having everything together and in its place, measure things out and treat them with respect. I have an order for each thing and my ultimate goal is to make the best dish I can. All the prep and organization is what gets that for me.

I'm a nut for bowls! I have every kind of bowl and ramekin in every size and shape. I seem to have this fetish for 'things to put other things in'.

Super Contributor

On 1/2/2014 chickenbutt said:

Aw, House Cat, I totally get it. I've always been very sensory about my cooking. I love having everything together and in its place, measure things out and treat them with respect. I have an order for each thing and my ultimate goal is to make the best dish I can. All the prep and organization is what gets that for me.

I'm a nut for bowls! I have every kind of bowl and ramekin in every size and shape. I seem to have this fetish for 'things to put other things in'.

I think we might be the same person. {#emotions_dlg.blink}

Super Contributor

Keurig

Honored Contributor

Sooner - I always wondered if people really drink THAT much soft drinks that they would have the need to make their own. Maybe the show hosts/vendors CONVINCE people that they need to make their own. I don't know, but I can buy a 12pack of my couple of fav diet soft drinks and that lasts me six months or more. Smiley Happy

I love my knives too! I don't have Shuns or anything, but I have some nice knives that I take good care of and it's a pleasure to use them.

Well, we wanted it to make carbonated water just to drink plain, but we don't remember to use it. Hubby still has high hopes for it, however, and won't get rid of it! LOL!!! Maybe 2014 is the year of the Soda Stream?

I love knives! But then I chop, slice and cut a lot. My husband thought I'd lost it when I bought a 14" Henckles on SALE but we use it all the time--cut pizza, watermelons, big pieces of meat, I use it a LOT. I have a Shun I got on sale at Williams Sonoma about a year ago and one small Global and they are razor sharp. I LOVE them! I can't imagine how people get along without nice knives, can you? Growing up we had a paring knife, serrated small tomato knife (59 cent variety) and a butcher knife and that was it!

Honored Contributor

On 1/2/2014 Sooner said:

Sooner - I always wondered if people really drink THAT much soft drinks that they would have the need to make their own. Maybe the show hosts/vendors CONVINCE people that they need to make their own. I don't know, but I can buy a 12pack of my couple of fav diet soft drinks and that lasts me six months or more. Smiley Happy

I love my knives too! I don't have Shuns or anything, but I have some nice knives that I take good care of and it's a pleasure to use them.

Well, we wanted it to make carbonated water just to drink plain, but we don't remember to use it. Hubby still has high hopes for it, however, and won't get rid of it! LOL!!! Maybe 2014 is the year of the Soda Stream?

I love knives! But then I chop, slice and cut a lot. My husband thought I'd lost it when I bought a 14" Henckles on SALE but we use it all the time--cut pizza, watermelons, big pieces of meat, I use it a LOT. I have a Shun I got on sale at Williams Sonoma about a year ago and one small Global and they are razor sharp. I LOVE them! I can't imagine how people get along without nice knives, can you? Growing up we had a paring knife, serrated small tomato knife (59 cent variety) and a butcher knife and that was it!

That makes sense (about the carb water). I have a waffle recipe that I like to make from time to time and each time I want to do it I have to go get a bottle of club soda. It's not something I keep on hand. To boot, I end up only getting through about half the bottle and end up having to toss the rest because it goes flat after a while.

A 14" knife! Ooh! I have a couple of 9" Santokus that I love. I might be afraid that I'd cut my head off with a 14" knife. ha! But it sounds appealing.

BTW, if you shop on Amazon - they often have Shun knives in the Lightening Box deals.

Agree, good knives are very important. I've never purchased a tomato knife but when I set out to cut a tomato I just use one of my smaller serrated knives.

The only area where I can go with little cheapy knives is with small paring knives. I have a couple older ones but I also have a rainbow variety of the little Kuhn Rikon paring and small serrated knives. They seem to be good quality and last well. Plus I find that I can sharpen them with my sharpener when needed. One I have is so sharp I practically cut my finger off (yeah, I'm a klutz!) the first time I used it.

Respected Contributor

My Zojirushi rice cooker is buried in the pantry. I used to use it daily, but we've cut back on carbs and seldom eat rice. When we do, it's easier and faster to use the 90-second microwavable bowl version which is the perfect portion for two than to drag out the rice cooker.

I also have a smoothie/slushie maker thing way up in the top of the pantry that needs to be donated or tossed. I don't even remember buying it, but we certainly don't use it.

Unlike most of you that have posted, I love my Nicer Dicer. I don't mind rough chopping, but I don't have the knife skills to create a perfect small dice for a salad or a dish.

Respected Contributor

I have an extensive cookware collection that I bought when I was single and living at home with the hopes of furnishing my new home. It is waterless, so very good stuff for when I had the family, but I do simple cooking and my rice cooker, slow cooker, toaster oven and Ninja 3-n-1 have replaced the stove and pots and pans for most things except my 10" cast iron skillet I use for eggs, sandwiches, meats, small stir fries.... Basically being single now, I mainly use it when the family is together for more than 2 people. I live in the deep south, so the stove just gets HOT! I do use it in the winter for more baking and make soups in my cast iron Dutch oven for eating and freezing in portions for later when I don't feel like cooking, just defrost, heat, cook a grilled cheese or salad, and eat. Now I'm off to left overs of chicken alfredo with broccoli and a salad in the Ninja. I'm still trying to perfect the noodle cooking thing by trying to remember to stir it more in the beginning to keep them from sticking and becoming one noodle.

Respected Contributor

On 1/2/2014 house cat said:

The pressure cooker I bought from QVC last year. It's clunky and hard to figure out.. works sometimes and not others. I should have sent it back.

I don't know how it has a 5 star review. I hate it.

Have you cleaned the seal and reseated it? Many oil it with a rub of olive oil or veggie oil. The lack of a seal will keep it from building pressure and just boil the food. I had the WolfGang Puck one and bought the bigger Elite one, so the WGP went to my sister. She had issues but onces the seal was worked out, she has gone to town with loads of cheap meats for super suppers. She has young kids and can just assemble the night before, like a pot roast or boston butt, pop the bowl in when she gets home, and has dinner in around an hour or so. It really does make darned good pulled pork and turns cheap cuts of meat into yummy meals!

Trusted Contributor

My oldest son is a kitchen gadget collector. Some things that he has got and no longer uses: Yogurt maker, Soda Stream, Keurig.

He comes by this honestly as I am known for the 'appliance dungeon'. It all started with stupid bridal shower gifts. Electric woks, waffle iron, etc. Then, when my parents died- I brought home more junk-juicer, another waffle iron. Of course, I've got a bread maker, Panini thing, Emeril pie maker, nicer dicer.

The things I actually use: KA mixer w/ attachments, Vitamix, KA food processor, electric and stove-top pressure cookers, NuWave induction cooktop.

Having said that: I have my DVR set for the Ninja TSV on the 8th! {#emotions_dlg.rolleyes}

Valued Contributor

I never use my Mandoline. It wasn't pricey. But it sits in it's packaging. Begging to be used!